You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fighting a Bad Air Leak!

That is a good point! The tech looked the toilet and flushed it, but said it wasn't using air. So, I do non't know what kind of toilet do I have.
Also, after sharing with them to look at the generator air bags, they discovered some small leaks on a few of the air bags, but the compressor still comes on every 3 to 4 minutes now after some of these fixes. They talked to Newell Tech and got some additional pointers. I did, however, tell them no to spend any additional time.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237
West Central Part of Michigan

Just an update, they found some check valves leaking among them was the check valve allowing air back to the engine compressor. Steve is right, there were and still are, multiple leaks. They have it down to 20 minutes between cycles. I didn't expect these multiple leaks as I was told by the owner that the coach had excellent maintenance done on it. I see the last time the owner actually drove it on a trip was in September of 2014. Although it has been sitting indoors but nonetheless not used which explains why there are these leaks.

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237

Leaks are something that will recur without constant attention. Left alone for 18 months, a coach will likely develop multiple leaks. Once you get them tracked down and resolved, it should be easier to keep up with as soon as you see the time between cycles decreasing. You should be able to get it down to no more than one cycle every 45 minutes to an hour but certainly one cycle every 20 minutes beats the heck out of once every 2 minutes. You are making progress.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks Michael!
I only wish I had been down there to follow them, but today, I did not go, unfortunately!
What I don't understand is the night before I got home, I stayed in it for 9 to 10 hours to wait out a snow storm. I went in and out several times, didn't run the generator, and didn't see any loss of air that caused doors not to open. Then all that surfaced when I got it home and parked inside my pole barn.

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237

Sayed,

Steve (rheavn) has written an excellent thread explaining the air system on Newell's and how to logically go about isolating the different branches to find air leaks. I would strongly suggest you study those threads as they are the BEST info I know of on the common Newell air leak challenge.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(04-14-2016, 06:00 PM)Richard Wrote:  Sayed,  

Steve (rheavn) has written an excellent thread explaining the air system on Newell's and how to logically go about isolating the different branches to find air leaks.  I would strongly suggest you study those threads as they are the BEST info I know of on the common Newell air leak challenge.

Thanks, Richard!
I read the two links Steve provided. Indeed, the tools he has come up with for finding leaks seem very useful.
My BIG question is how do you find out the schematic for the air system in a Newell Coach?

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237

Air leaks can be a bear. It's a classic case of the symptom being a bigger pain in the butt than the cause. Many times it's a very simple fix but finding them is sometimes a challenge. I agree with Richard. Rheavn posts and others are good reads and I've read pursued them multiple times.

If you are finding you have multiple leaks and decide to take it to Newell, depending on how far you are away, I do suggest scheduling an extra couple days to live in your coach nearby or at Newell after they've "found and fixed" them. That way if you discover it's still leaking air or maybe your compressor is struggling, you can have them address it. If you have multiple air leaks, sometimes it's easy to assume after finding and fixing one or two that the problem is solved.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

Good suggestion, Jason! I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237

Do have the tanks drained and replace the air dryer cartridge while you at Holland. Air leaks tend to fill the tanks with water because of the excessive pump cycling

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

"My BIG question is how do you find out the schematic for the air system in a Newell Coach?"

The only manufacturing issue I have with Newell is their system documentation.  Country Coach had outstanding documentation that included system schematics.

So to answer your question, as I isolated separate parts of the air systems I produced my own set of schematics for my coach.  I found that determining what wasn't leaking was just as important as finding what was leaking.  Every leak I found was either at a coupling or an air system component.  I replaced all "push in" type air fittings as I found them & replaced them with DOT compression fittings.  I replaced several air system components that were leaking which included two slide room shut off valves, the air system relief valve, the tag axle solenoid, two air dryers, an air tank, etc.  

Newell's standard for the air system is that the air compressor only runs about once an hour.  As I worked on my system I wanted and achieved losing less than 5 lbs per hour.  The other thing I learned in my project was how the three separate air systems are interrelated and work together.  Unfortunately fixing air leaks is not a permanent fix.  As we take our coaches & put them into earthquake forces more leaks will develop.

To completely go through the air system was not a hard job, but does require time (it took 15 days), patience, the tools in the provided link and access to the underbody of the coach.

I hope my answer was as BIG as your question..........................................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531