You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fighting a Bad Air Leak!

I have had a bad air leak for over five weeks. Took the coach to Holland Motor Homes in Michigan. They worked on it all day and consulted with Newell a couple of times, but nothing has shown up.
The coach when plugged in to shore power with 120 V AC Compressor on, seems to lose about 20 psi in about 1 minute and 50 seconds. The last advice from Newell was to put an additional 20 PSI pressure using shop air. When the techs did this it slowed down the leak substantially, but still didn't find any leaks!

Any clues or insight any one can offer??

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237
West Central Part of Michigan

I had one a while back. I looked and looked and couldn't hear it, find it, etc. ended up being one of the little air bags the generator rests on.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

Interesting! I have to add this to the list! Thanks

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237

Do all three gauges lose equally ? If not that could tell you if the leak is on the brake or supply side.

Does it leak all the way to zero?

That's a lot of air flow, surprised you can't hear it.

Check ride height control valves. The plastic ride well valves are notorious for cracked bodies which will leak badly

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

10 psi a minute is a big air leak!  First of all don't assume it is just one air leak.  It may be many small ones that add up.  Your coach is of the age that air leaks begin showing up.  The only way I have found to successfully find air leaks is to start by organizing your search which necessitates some understanding of the air system.  Since you are not doing the work, does Holland know the air system on a Newell?  if not it is my opinion you may be wasting your money.

I would start with the 12V air system.  With the 110V air compressor off and the 12V air compressor on how often does it run.  If not often then you have eliminated the 12V air system.  If the 12V air pump runs often then you may have focused on where you will find your air leaks and save yourself many hours of looking where there are no leaks.

To try to form a list of things to check will not lead to good results in finding air leaks has been my experience.

You might read these threads.  I spent the winter finding and correcting air leaks on my coach.

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=2705

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=2690

Good luck......................................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(04-14-2016, 04:54 AM)Richard Wrote:  Do all three gauges lose equally ?  If not that could tell you if the leak is on the  brake or supply side.  

Does it leak all the way to zero?

That's a lot of air flow, surprised you can't hear it.  

Check ride height control valves. The plastic ride well valves are notorious for cracked bodies which will leak badly

Thanks for your reply, Richard!
I do not know if they (HMH) actually looked at that. Since I do not know anything where to look for such a leak, I took to them and I'm learning a lot about what's where, etc.
Since the air loss is so big, I didn't think it will be hard to find, at least for professionals! Actually, it is worst than 10 psi! The compressor start and stop is 20 psi and the compressor comes on about every two minutes, so it would be 10 psi/minute!

It could be ride height control valves too as the coach totally loses air over night on the driver side when the auto level is off. I did mention this to them.

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237

(04-14-2016, 04:57 AM)rheavn Wrote:  10 psi a minute is a big air leak!  First of all don't assume it is just one air leak.  It may be many small ones that add up.  Your coach is of the age that air leaks begin showing up.  The only way I have found to successfully find air leaks is to start by organizing your search which necessitates some understanding of the air system.  Since you are not doing the work, does Holland know the air system on a Newell?  if not it is my opinion you may be wasting your money.

I would start with the 12V air system.  With the 110V air compressor off and the 12V air compressor on how often does it run.  If not often then you have eliminated the 12V air system.  If the 12V air pump runs often then you may have focused on where you will find your air leaks and save yourself many hours of looking where there are no leaks.

To try to form a list of things to check will not lead to good results in finding air leaks has been my experience.

You might read these threads.  I spent the winter finding and correcting air leaks on my coach.

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=2705

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=2690

Good luck......................................

Good suggestions!
It was pretty clear to me that they (HMH) do not have an understanding of the air system for the Newells. You are right, it will be a waste of money at $120/hr to do random checks. If they don't find it today, I'm not going to have them continue searching!
Thanks for the links, too. I'll look at them as well!

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237

Sounds like maybe a trip to Miami would be a good option.

(04-14-2016, 07:50 AM)ccjohnson Wrote:  Sounds like maybe a trip to Miami would be a good option.

I have one scheduled for the 20th of June. If they can't fix it today, I'm not going to let them continue hunting for the leak(s).
Thanks and good hearing from you again!
Sayed

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237

I had one similar to this. It was the black discharge line in the air flush toilet. Could not see it our hear it but it was discharging air constently. Re silicone washers in the flush toilet. My problem solved.