You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

alternator not working

Pigtail "bat" to "field" at the regulator will ALMOST tell which is bad. While it is unlikely to happen, if either the battery supply to the regulator or the wire from the regulator to the field of the alternator is bad you could end up changing out a perfectly good alternator. If you check for voltage at the field when you do the pigtail you will eliminate this potentially confusing issue.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

(10-31-2016, 10:51 AM)77newell Wrote:  Pigtail "bat" to "field" at the regulator will ALMOST tell which is bad. While it is unlikely to happen, if either the battery supply to the regulator or the wire from the regulator to the field of the alternator is bad you could end up changing out a perfectly good alternator. If you check for voltage at the field when you do the pigtail you will eliminate this potentially confusing issue.

Worked for me

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589

I purchased a new Delco Remy alternator to replace my Leece-Neville. Two people at Joplin freightliner told me the Leece-Neville was a throw away alternator, sighting experience and the fact there was no core charge. Anyone have any experience either way? I was thinking about talking to a local alternator shop when I got home, be nice to have a spare, but no since spending money on a boat anchor... :-)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

i suspect you will never wear the new alternator out. i would not spend the money

as the late wally would say. "thats my 2 cents worth and i am stickin to it"

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(11-06-2016, 09:07 AM)encantotom Wrote:  i suspect you will never wear the new alternator out.  i would not spend the money

as the late wally would say.   "thats my 2 cents worth and i am stickin to it"

tom

Sounds like good advice. I will find. Dumpster for this boat anchor...

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

Hi it is us again with a new issue. We had changed out our original alternator that had an external regulator with a Delco-Remy 40SI Part no. 8600279 that has an internal regulator in 2011. It has worked well up until this last year. We had disconnected the external regulator when we installed the new one and wire tied up the wires leaving the old external regulator in place. That had not been the problem with the old alternator, it was the bearings squealing all the time. Rebuilt it twice but still went bad.

Our Delco is still putting out but not charging our system because we think it is a faulty internal regulator. We are wondering if we can by-pass the internal regulator on this alternator and wire it back into the original external regulator? If so, does any one have a wiring diagram of how that would be accomplished?

Thanks, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465
Spending summers in Central Wisconsin and winters in Mesa, AZ.

Usually when an solid state regulator fails it dies completely, at least in my experience which is not extensive. A new regulator is not particularly expensive on the aftermarket, less than $50 so I would not be inclined wire in the old one which would have to be jury rigged.

Before you go that route it would be helpful to more fully describe what you mean by it seems to be putting out and not charging the batteries. Could you give us the details of what you measured or saw that led you to think that.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

(09-12-2017, 08:14 AM)77newell Wrote:  Usually when an solid state regulator fails it dies completely, at least in my experience which is not extensive. A new regulator is not particularly expensive on the aftermarket, less than $50 so I would not be inclined wire in the old one which would have to be jury rigged.

Before you go that route it would be helpful to more fully describe what you mean by it seems to be putting out and not charging the batteries. Could you give us the details of what you measured or saw that led you to think that.

We have had it into 2 alternator repair shops and they said nothing was wrong with the alternator. The last repair shop felt that the regulator may be suspect however. We would like to just replace the regulator but we are not sure how to wire it between the alternator and the chassis battery system. Any help with the proper wiring would be appreciated. We are running down the road no with the generator and merge on.

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465

i drove a 5k mile trip using just the generator to charge everything. my regulator was bad.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(09-12-2017, 08:54 AM)encantotom Wrote:  i drove a 5k mile trip using just the generator to charge everything.  my regulator was bad.  

tom

Hi Tom

Are you the gentleman that has a place west of Phoenix? Did you replace your regulator yourself? We just need some help doing that. We will be down to Phoenix by around Sept. 22nd if you will be around?

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465