You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Valve stem extensions

Gang,

I was almost ready to leave in the coach and I noticed that one tire was a little low.  It turned out to be the inside drive tire.  When I attempted to put air into the tire, I realized I had a problem with my extension.  It would not allow you to check air or accept new air.  So....

1)  Where does one get 7" air valve extensions (quickly).

2)  Neither of my tires have air valve extension stabilizers.  (The rubber things that go in the outside tire to stabilize the extension).  Where does one look for those?

Upon closer inspection, it turns out the extension on the other side has been rubbing and is close to failing.  

Thanks,
bill

ps.  I did find this online.  (Newell has told me they do not stock the stabilizer for my wheels -- 1.5" holes)

ShinyRV.com

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

This is what I use:

https://jet.com/product/detail/767762d36...&gclsrc=ds

This is what I use:
http://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-506-Dual-...e+inflator

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I avoid valve stem extensions if possible because they are one more item that can become damaged and fail.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Gang,

I have an update to the post.  (Thanks for the comments!  I decided that properly installed extensions are a time saver and will not cause too much additional trouble).

Since I have had 653 (my only coach), I have had three tire related issues.  Two have been related to valve stem extensions and one was a divot that I found in the side of one of my drive tires.  Both of the inflation problems were detected with a tire pressure monitor system.

The problem with the extensions is that they are essentially long tuning forks that are supported at one end.  The other end is free to rattle and vibrate against the hub.  The result is premature failure of the extension.  In one case it cracked, in another case it failed internally and would not pass air.

So, I contacted the nice folks at shinyRV.com and ordered two new extensions and two stabilizers.  (see photos).  They came quickly and appeared to be of very high quality.

The stabilizer fit snuggly into the hole on my wheel and provides support for the end of the extension.  The extensions simply screw into the valve stem.   I have not driven with the stabilizers installed so I cannot report about the outcome, but I wanted to give you guys a source in case you are looking.

I also included a picture of a valve stem extension that had not failed but was probably only a few miles from failing.  Look closely at the end and you will see that the cap is almost all the way worn through.  

Cheers,
bill

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thanks for the link Bill. I have the stabilizers on my drive axle tires and have never had any issues with the inner valve stems. I trust you will have the same experience.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com