You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

8V92 service life?

Dear Gurus,

Just curious what service 8V92s usually provide? How many miles before overhaul?

Danny & Marilyn
1991 #277
09 Dodge pickup flat tow

My go-to 2-stroke mechanic told me to expect 250-300,000 miles between in frame overhauls. A few years ago that overhaul cost 5 grand on my then 6V92. He said lots of factors determine how many of those overhauls can be done before a total overhaul is needed which would require pulling the engine from the coach.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Fellow Gurus, We just learned our 8v92 went 190,000 (at least that is what we saw on odometer) miles. The # 4 cylinder ate an exhaust valve seat. Beat up cylinder head, cylinder, etc. Given the engine was 32 years old, we opted for an overhaul. If the engine was younger, we would have opted for a new head, turbo, and cylinder liner with
new piston and rings. We have eight new liners and pistons, turbocharger, etc. deg

Great motor and easy to work on, many parts on the market for these 2 strokes which have been around before WWII.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas