You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

generator smells?

Dear Gurus, When staying at the races, we are getting way too many smells of the generator in the coach. Ours has the 17KW Yanmar in the front bay with the sliding exhaust tube feeding the mufflers and vertical exhaust pipe that is about mid-coach on the driver's side. When we use the coach exhaust fan, that seems to make the smells worse. I can't say fumes because neither CO detector alarms and both are new.

Has anyone changed the generator exhaust seal that allows the generator to slide in and out? Also, how important is that wall covering at the rear of the generator compartment?

Thanks!
Danny and Marilyn
1991 # 277

that seal is a high temp exhaust packing rope. and used with antiseize

the rope goes inside the flare of the sliding pipe.

i would check for any other exhaust leaks at the genny as well.

my experience is that wall on the back of the genny is not likely to be your culprit. but that doesnt mean it couldnt be.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(05-03-2016, 10:11 PM)encantotom Wrote:  that seal is a high temp exhaust packing rope.  and used with antiseize 

my experience is that wall on the back of the genny is not likely to be your culprit.  but that doesnt mean it couldnt be. 

tom

Revisiting this as I replaced that packing material last fall and while it is better, I still have exhaust gas coming in at the joint in the slide floor behind drivers seat.

What would you look for first?  

You know you need to get this fixed when your spouse says “so are our clothes always going to smell like this?”

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

(05-03-2016, 10:11 PM)encantotom Wrote:  that seal is a high temp exhaust packing rope.  and used with antiseize 

my experience is that wall on the back of the genny is not likely to be your culprit.  but that doesnt mean it couldnt be. 

tom

Dear Fellow Gurus, I had Newell repack the joint on one of our visits and the problem mostly went away. I don't like being under the coach, much and Newell's pit bay was too convenient! deg

Keep in mind while chasing this smell, that the generator compartment is pressurized by the generator blower fan. The discharge is directly under the coach of the cooling fan. So, any leak inside the compartment is going to exhaust directly under the coach.

Inside the gen compartment look carefully at the entire exhaust system, including the turbo, for any signs of soot or exhaust leakage. I know I fought a leak right at the turbo because a slip fit with clamp fitting had been used to attach the exhaust pipe to the turbo. I eventually welded the fitting to stop the leak.

As discussed before the exhaust pipe should be sealed in some way at the sliding junction. Mine does NOT have a bell or flare opening for the exhaust packing. I simply wrapped some fiberglass exhaust wrap around the inner pipe, used a couple of zip ties, and pulled the gennie back into the compartment. The wrap slid on the inner pipe to position it. I pulled the generator back out, slide the wrap 1/4 inch closer to the outer pipe, and secured it with a couple of radiator clamps.

And the exhaust system under the coach must be checked for integrity. Only way to do this, is get under there with the generator running. Hopefully, no one would consider that without proper cribbing. Pay close attention to the area where the gen exhaust and the Aquahot exhaust merge into the vertical exhaust section. That is a hand made piece and subject to corrosion.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )