You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Upgrade to my air tank

Gang,

So we all know that we are supposed to drain our air tanks, right?  Well, on my coach there are two tanks that get water in them.  There is one in the front basement bay on curb side.  There is another one in front of drive wheels on curb side.  (The rest are really hard to get to).

Anyway the front one always seemed to have water in it and the petcock was tough to open with my fingers.  On top of that, if I *did* open it, the water sprayed all over the inside of the bay (holds the air compressor, and fan for genny).

What I did was carefully drain the water / air from the tank (with compressors turned off).

Next, I removed the petcock with an open end wrench.

I replaced the petcock with the following:

1 x male-male NPT 1/4" fitting 
1 x NPT 1/4" ball valve
1 x NPT 1/4" to tube adapter
1 x piece of clear plastic tube
2 x clamps (one at top and one at bottom)

I used plumbers paste to seal the threads.

Finally, I drilled a hole through the bottom of the bay and stuck the tubing out....followed by a little clear silicone around the drilled hole.  I also put a clamp on the tube on the bottom end to keep the tube from ever jumping around when air is going through it.

Thats it!

Now, to drain the tank, all I have to do is grab the handle and turn.  Any water / air is expelled under the coach.  No more mess, and super easy to do without tools.

The picture will show you in more detail.

Easy project!

ps.  all the supplies are available at Home Depot.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Excellent idea, Bill!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I have to admit that I got the idea from another Guru...but he shall remain nameless (Steve) Smile

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama