You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator Digital Coolant Gauge Not working

A couple of years ago, my digital Coolant Temp Gauge stopped working on the console over the drivers head.  

i just didnt worry about it.  so it was on my list while on this trip to fix.  i am at steve magowns place and forest and cindy are here too.  i am outlining my fix so that those that chase electrical problems can perhaps learn how to break things into bite sized chunks.  

the gauge lights up but shows LO all the time for temp, which means it is not getting a signal.  so....first thing i did was to run a jumper from the sensor on the genny directly to the gauge.  that worked.  so that means the wire between the two is bad somewhere.  

i found the color of the wire off the gauge and found the same wire behind the drivers side floor kickplate panel under the dash where it comes down the window channel.  the wire ohmed good between the gauge and the floor....so the wire is fine there.  

then we found the wire in the genny control box in the passenger side compartment where the genny blower is.  it ohmed good between the genny sensor and the control box.  so that part of the wire was good.  that was a relief as it would have been hard to run a new wire there.  

then we ohmed the wire between that genny control box and at the drivers kick panel below the steering wheel dash and it was bad.  so that meant we needed to replace the wire between the control box and the place right under the steering wheel under the dash where it goes up the window channel.  

so...(btw, forest was helping with all of this...much easier with two people).   we pushed a 3/8" piece of dot brake tubing through the foam where the headlight wires come  over the headlights to behind the fuse panel behind the passenger feet kickpanel.  we drilled a hole through the firewall to the genny compartment and fed the brake tubing like flexible conduit to the genny control box.  that made it easy to feed a new 16 gauge wire from the control box to up through the floor to the area behind the fuse panel in the passenger feet area.  

fortunately i had left a pull string between the two sides of the dash when i rewired the headlights.  so we pulled the wire over to the drivers side, making sure we left the pull string there for next time.  

i put a lug on the wire and put it in the control box and closed it up, then spliced the other end under the drivers kick panel to the wire going up to the gauge over the drivers head and wallah....all fixed.  took a while, but got her done...

as you can see, we just broke the troubleshooting into small pieces.  is pretty easy that way

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom forgot to mention the skin and blood I left behind the fuse panel while trying to fish the wire. That was before we used the 3/8" brake tubing as a conduit for the wire....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

or the fun i had as a sasquatch sized guy getting in the space in front of the drivers seat under the dash. ha

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(05-21-2016, 11:33 AM)encantotom Wrote:  or the fun i had as a sasquatch sized guy getting in the space in front of the drivers seat under the dash.   ha

tom

Amazing you aren't still there Tom.  That is a tuff spot for a small guy.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot