You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Ultra Sonic Air Leak Detector

Does anyone have experience with an air leak detector that they were successful with.  I have several small leaks that I cannot hear.   Thanks

a number of us have this detector.

http://products.inficon.com/en-us/Produc...sforHVAC-R

it does work well. i use it with headphones for the best result. it comes with a cheap pair of open ear ones, but i put my audio enclosed ear ones on. you do have to get used to what to listen for so it helps to practices on some leaks you know about.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

It works great for finding leaks around the 120v compressor bay and the six packs. However, for finding leaks under the coach, especially the air bag fittings, a high quality soap bubble spray works best. I recently had leaks in three newly installed air bags that had to be repaired.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Picked up the inficon detector. Imediately found massive leak between front wheels. Now trying to figure how to safely get under there to get at it. Don't know yet what it is but it is substantial. There is a receiver tank behind the axle which seems to be the general area. Thanks Pete

Pete, I forget which year model your Newell is (a signature line would help make that automatically appear with each post) but in the early 90's there were two large air tanks behind the front axle and those are the brake air tanks. There is also the front ride height valve located in the center of the coach very near the front axle that has a plastic body that can crack and lose a significant amount of air.

As far as getting under the front of the coach, I drive up on a stack of 2'x2'x1" pieces of exterior plywood to raise the height of the front wheels 4-6", then raise the front suspension all the way with the air system then use large wood cribbing under the frame to make sure it doesn't drop. That gives me room to slide in without worrying about the coach dropping on me. Be sure to chock the rear wheels if you have the front tires on blocking.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com