You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Duh huh, what I figured out about basement air today

I have to laugh at my OCD behavior when it comes to keeping the AC cold. However, Rhonda does not like hot temperatures, and when the bride ain't happy........

We were boondocked in a parking lot in Lexington KY for the Horsey Hundred cycling weekend, and the front AC was just not quite cooling like a I thought it should. I installed a temperature readout for the front AC and the output air was only getting to about 62 degrees. I remembered it getting in the low fifties previously, so my immediate conclusion was that I had lost a compressor or some other catastrophe. My notebook confirmed 52 degree air. 

Diagnostics show both compressors running and pulling proper amps. 

Here is where the duh huh comes in. The generator dumps its exhaust air right into the AC units. When we plugged into a campground last night, the outlet temp went back to low fifties. 

It didn't help that the coach was low to the ground in the parking lot to get it level. 

Most of you probably already know this. It just didn't register with me. Next time I am boonied in a parking lot I will figure some way of getting cooler air to the AC units.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

One of my units draws air in and returns it through the floor in the bottom of the bay. I have wondered about how I could draw air in through the bay and leave a bay door open or something...Not ideal but it seems like it would be much more efficient than having the intake near the exhausted air.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

We are staying in the coach during part of the big household relocation. Right now, it is a heat wave in WV, and the coach is in the direct sun. So as you can figure the AC is struggling a bit in the full sun with heat and high humidity.

When I leveled the coach, it pancaked to the ground because of the site configuration. I raised the coach manually by about 4 inches. It made a 5 degree difference in the temperature of the output air.

The point being to raise the coach as much as possible to allow the heat to escape from the underside.
It has me thinking about mounting some 120V pancake fans to the air intakes on the doors to pull more cool air into the condenser coils.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )