You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell Guru Ruidoso Rally Live Thread

Mike- did I install carpet in that Ruidoso home?

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

another great day here at the rally.  

this morning we had a tech session for over 2 hours.  it was question and answer on lots of topics and then we walked around to coaches where the owning guru had questions and we tried to answer them.  that is one of the pictures below.  most of the girls went to the local fine arts center for a tour.  

this afternoon we had coach open houses.  we do half one night and the other half will be tomorrow.  

and the potluck is for 630pm tonite.  

in the morning we will have karl blade and grant kernan will be doing a video conference with us.  we are looking forward to that.  

what a fun bunch of folks.  

thanks to all for the open house coach tours today

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(06-07-2016, 04:00 PM)Erniee Wrote:  Mike- did I install carpet in that Ruidoso home?

Erniee, don't remember but possibly. It was in White Mountain Four on George White.

Mike Stephenson
Lubbock, Tx
1999 Beaver Patriot Thunder
2004 MB Cruiser

we had a fun conference call with karl blade and grant kernan of newell this morning.

thanks to them for doing the call with us

tom

Tom, for the rest of us, can you give us the headlines from the call. Just the major take-aways. Thanks!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Sure looks like we are missing out on a great time. We are in Kingman. Will be here at least 1 more day. Then may have to go to Eloy, AZ for a day or so. Still in hopes of mabe making tail end of rally. An update on contactor; when we pulled into parrk here last night I flipped the switch on overhead panel and went outside to plug in shore power and put in my zip tie contactor holder. The love of my life certainly must be living right, because the contactor had started to work properly again. Evidently the 400 miles on I-40 (very rough in some sections these days) must have jarred something loose that was stuck.

the last couple of days with the gurus in ruidoso have been great. we had a tech seminar on thursday by richard on air systems and a guru gab session on friday. and potlucks that had amazing food and friendship.

has been a little sad watching our friends, old and new begin to depart. we are down to about half of us now and it will dwindle down over the weekend.

thanks to all who came and participated.

a fantastic place and fantastic people to spend the week with

tom and darlene

Clint, I had a contactor stick resulting in my inability to switch over to the generator. This was the small safety contactor on the side that prevents both contactors from being energized at the same item. I pulled it out and found straw had lodged in it preventing it from making contact. After removing the straw, I have had no additional problems. That has been 8 years.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(06-11-2016, 08:43 AM)encantotom Wrote:  the last couple of days with the gurus in ruidoso have been great.  we had a tech seminar on thursday by richard on air systems and a guru gab session on friday.  and potlucks that had amazing food and friendship.

has been a little sad watching our friends, old and new begin to depart.  we are down to about half of us now and it will dwindle down over the weekend.  

thanks to all who came and participated.  

a fantastic place and fantastic people to spend the week with

tom and darlene

Just got back from the rally with no problems, except for relocated gen exhaust pipe, tried camping at Coleman city park, and found that newell's are not very good off road. Several hours under the coach with s.s. wire worked well enough to get me home.
Thanks to Tom and Darlene for organizing a great outing, and to Tom, Richard, Michael, Rudy and everyone else that helped me understand my new coach.
Hope to see you all next year.

Thanks again,, Jim and Meg

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

What a great Rally at Ruidoso Motorcoach Ranch this past week.  We really want to thank Tom and Darlene for all their organizational efforts, including the reception they hosted on Sunday night, and shopping for the food that was provided compliments of Newell Corp.

We left Saturday morning and spent the night along Hwy. 40 at "camp" Walmart in Weatherford, OK.  Because our low-fuel light was on when we stopped we went for diesel first thing.  The station where we stopped would only let us charge $95.00 or about 45 gallons. They said it was their policy.  Ed was pretty bent out of shape because of this, but thought it would get us home.  (Lynda is writing this because Ed doesn't type).  Ed's knee was really hurting him, so I took over driving just east of Tulsa and drove the rest of the way home.  It was very uneventful, Ed went back and slept with his knee stretched out and everything was great until about 60 miles from home, approximately Lamar, MO.  I had noticed it was getting pretty warm in the coach and about 30 miles later finally Ed got up, checked the generator...it was running, but not generating electricity.  We were going to bring the coach home to unload, but took it to the barn so we could plug in.

After thinking about the generator problem last night, Ed inserted a wooden yardstick into the fuel tank and it didn't even wet the bottom of the stick!  We evidently blew into town on fumes! I actually remember it "coughing" a couple of times, but I was going up hill and just thought it was the transmission.  After putting two 5-gallon cans of diesel in the tank he had about 2" on the yardstick. It took 173 gallons to fill. The generator finally sputtered and started, but was not generating electricity.

After talking to Cressley at Newell, the lesson learned is:  The pickup tube for the generator is about 2" above the pickup for the engine, so as a safety measure it throws a switch in the back on the stater.  After switching it on and off and then on again...Voila!  We have power.  Ed was ecstatic...he said it was like he save $2000.00!

Ed & Lynda Perkins
2002 Newell #638 (4 slides)
Tow 2012 TDI VW Jetta Car
2015 Mazda 6 Sedan
1998 F250 Work Truck
Pontoon boat, 2 John Deere Tractors and a golf cart!!!