You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

6cyl, 8cyl, tag or single axle, 6 speed or 4 speed?

you asked pretty broad question with lots of variations and the answers can be condensed to this i think. (or at least in my opinon)

1. 84 to 89 newells are almost all 6v92 or 8v92 with the 8v mostly. not too many 6v's
2. the coaches range from 36 to 40 ft.
3. the 40' coaches will mostly have tag axles, but some will have a single rear axles. its all about weight
4. the detroit DDEC started with newells in 1987 in some of the coaches.
5. fuel mileage will typically be 6mpg plus or minus a little for the 8v and 1mpg or a little more increased for the 6v
6. trannys will mostly be 4 speeds.
7. as michael as called out (he is the fountain of all knowledge on the specs for our coaches) they went to a wide body that is 6" wider in the late 80's.
8. everyone has their own opinion based on their own experience and that is ok. you will have to form your own opinions.

i had a 1990 newell that was one of the first with the new 1990 and up body style. it had a 500hp 8v92 with ht740 4 speed and was 38' with NO tag axle. it was a little rocket.

i prefer the 2 stroke detroit with the DDEC so that you can hook the silverleaf vmspc on it to closely monitor the engine parameters. but that is a matter of opinion

with the rear radiators that are direct drive fans, you do have to monitor coolant temp on long hard climbs. the cooling capability is not as good as the same engine with a front radiator like the zillions of trucks that had them in them or side mounted hydraulic fans that were in the other coaches or buses.

as our late newellguru wally would say....thats my 2 cents worth and i am stickin to it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks Michael, Kaleb and Clark,
With this cleared up understanding I now feel I am more prepared to look in to the Classic Newell market.
What a wonderful resource Newell Guru's is for a newbie like me.
Mike

My experience is lesser than many on this board, but I would say do not be afraid to purchase with a future plan to upgrade the powertrain.
I found my coach at a good price with a VT903 and Allison 5 speed.
Mechanical issues arose, the most effective solution was to upgrade to a modern (1995) powertrain.  
It has much improved the drivability and economy.
There are several re-powered classics here.

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"