You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

When your throne needs a new seat

Gang,

I have a microphor toilet which had the original toilet seat that came with it.  Over the years, the seat has provided a loyal and valuable service.  Recently, it has begun to be shimmy and squirmy.  I knew the end was near.  But today, one of the hinges gave up completely.  Time for a new seat.

I did a quick measurement and determined that (thank goodness), the holes where a standard dimension (5.5") and the length of the bowl was also standard (18.5").  So that meant that I could buy an aftermarket seat.  Off to Home Depot, I went.  I found a color and shape that looked like a good match and headed home.

My first job in getting the new seat fitted was removing the old seat and bolts.  This turned out to take a trick.  But first a little background.  The bolts that hold the seat on are accessible from inside the tank part.   They are fairly easy to reach, but a real bear to get a wrench on.  The manual says to mount the seat before you install the toilet to the floor.  I made attempts with open and closed end wrenches, pliers and even vice grips but I could not get any of them to grab.

Warning:  The next part is scary and should be undertaken with extreme care.  Any sort of prying on the bolts will chip or crack the bowl and that is a big problem, so be careful!

I sat down and thought about the problem.  I can't get a good grip on the nut, but can get a screwdriver on the nut (top) end.  It was clear that the bolt was really rusty and even if I got a good grip, I am not sure that I will be able to unscrew the nut from the bolt.  I decided that the right way to tackle the problem is to cut the bolt with a hacksaw.  (Keep reading...this gets good!)  To get to the shaft of the bolt so I could cut it, I needed to remove the plastic hinge that holds the seat.  One hinge was already broken away from the seat, so I carefully twisted the seat and broke the other hinge.  Now the seat was free but the hinges were still held on by the bolt. 

HERE IS THE TRICK:  I used diagonal cutters to nibble away at the hinge until I was able to remove the plastic part.  Once that happened, there was still a little clear plastic thingy under the bolt.  When I tore that loose the bolt fell through the hole!  Bingo, exactly what I needed!  No need to cut the bolt!!!

The new seat went on without a hitch.  The brand is Bemis (Bone color) in an "Elongated"  shape.  It has the anti-slam feature and is easily removable for cleaning.  The shape is not absolutely perfect, but I am pretty sure no-one will notice.

Anyway, I thought I would post here in case anyone finds themselves faced with rusty bolts and a broken toilet seat.  Attached pictures should help in understanding text.

Cheers,
bill

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Great solution to a difficult problem. I always hate working on toilets due to the limited working space. working from the top is always a winner in my mind.

Thanks for the post, Bill.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com