You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Building Newell Garage questions

Wow, so now I'm thinking 60x20 with a 15x13 door... 5" reinforced concrete ... Do I need more concrete where the wheels will sit?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

It wouldn't hurt to make it 6", but 5" with some reinforcement would be plenty. Just make sure to have expansion joints, or saw it off the next day after pouring about 8 to 10 feet apart. Also, make sure you have a base of 8 to 10 inches of sand well compacted.

Good luck!

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237
West Central Part of Michigan

Just an observation. It looks like you have had several motorhomes before this one. I built my shop for the motorhome I had then, I wish I had built it for what I could potentially have in the future. I mentioned that to say that 20' will be a little cramped with 2 slides and quite cramped with 3 to 4.
My shop is 40x50 with a 15x50 roof extension off of one side. My next project will be to add 10 ft. of length.

Mike Moore
2005 Newell 734

Just another observation: if you want to a workshop to work on your coach then make a 3.5'w x 4.5'd x 45'l grease pit in the floor of your garage so you can get to work on your coach. I had 2' x 4' x 10' on one side of my two-car garage that I built in 1980 and really liked it. Just a thought!

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237

I like the pit idea as well but be WARNED to not have any engines running any where near the pit. CO seeks the lowest level in any area. A CO detector in the pit would be a good idea.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

One can always use to pipe out the CO by attaching a hose onto the coach's exhaust.

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237

I went down the path of having a 50' long pit with steps and grates to cover it etc. in the end, i am very glad i didnt do it.

but...i didnt really have a choice. the building department said no, or at least it was no unless there was ventilation, sump pump, on and on. and the estimated price was getting extremely high.

and in the end, it makes that garage space unusable for anything else.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I was thinking for a pit I could just use a limited-depth Acme instant hole...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

(07-26-2016, 10:18 PM)encantotom Wrote:  I went down the path of having a 50' long pit with steps and grates to cover it etc.  in the end, i am very glad i didnt do it.  

but...i didnt really have a choice.  the building department said no, or at least it was no unless there was ventilation, sump pump, on and on.  and the estimated price was getting extremely high.  

and in the end, it makes that garage space unusable for anything else.  

tom

That is interesting. I would have done the same thing - not do it under those conditions. The one I had done for my car, I sort of did it the last minute after my house was complete. When I was getting ready to pour my garage floor I decided to do it and it was easy to do with sandy soil. For a motor home, we are talking about something much more substantial and can certainly understand the concerns.

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237

I'm reviving this thread again because I need to have somewhere to store the coach or else sell it! Some of you saw how dirty my coach had gotten while sitting out in the elements and I hate it being dirty!
Would I be able to build something that could be added to later like a pole barn-type building with just a roof and no sides, then later add sides, then later add doors?
I would like to build it about 60' x 20' x 20' high using 5" reinforced concrete...
I am going to check in to adding a storm shelter in it which would also double as a pit for working on it! Insurance costs are way less than a full-on pit as far as I can tell
Now I just need a lot in Madison, AL to put it on!

Karen & Adrian Abshire