You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Axle / Differential Failure

ridewell part number 2460003

for my 2002 drive axle

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(07-23-2016, 01:06 PM)encantotom Wrote:  ridewell part number 2460003

for my 2002 drive axle
iv
tom
Hey Bill, I have just got home from my rode trip will be glad to help. Give me a call if I can help with anything. My number is 865-712-5610. I sorry I did have a lot of answers but was not thinking to good at the time. There are a Provost service center in Nashville.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

I believe Ridewell made the suspension system.
The axle itself will be a Rockwell, Eaton, Spicer, if it is not a ZF. It should not be hard for a truck/bus shop to repair. Once the drive shaft is removed the whole front of the differential carrier can be removed for rebuild. The carrier bearings, gears and differential can be easily accessed. There are several companies who would have a rebuilt unit on the shelf ready to go. After rereading your post it appears that the pinion seal may have leaked the lubricant causing excessive gear wear. The noises you heard were probably the pinion or spider gears disintegrating.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

How did this get resolved ? Did you get Jeff to do it or had to move the bus again ?

MG

This is still an open issue. He was very accommodating, but did not really want to get into this on a Newell.

I got the recommendation for a fellow guru that Clarke Power was a good shop in Knoxville. I had coach towed there early last week. As of Friday, the coach had made it into the shop.

The initial diagnosis is that there is almost no oil in differential and that there were metal filings in the case.

We will know more once they have a parts list and full diagnosis.

I will keep you guys posted as to what we find out.

In the meantime, take a look at your differential. I was able to get a good look at mine by laying in between the wheels and looking up. (Obviously chock the wheels and make sure your brake is set) Never had done this before the "incident" but after the incident, I observed a fair amount of oil on outside of differential.

I never saw any oil on the outside of the drive wheel.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

You will only see oil on the wheel if an axle seal leaks. It appears that the pinion seal leaked and threw oil on the underside and the road as you traveled. That is logical since the pinion seal has to withstand 4 times the RPM that the axles turn.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

After seeing Bill's axle I have a renewed interest in my differential!

Steve Bare says fluid should be changed at 100,000 miles.

That will get done this week . Level check will become more frequent !

Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Yes....I went out and crawled under to look for pinion seal leaks already and am planning for a fluid change. I don t mean any ill intent but it seems that if Bills axle died from lack of fluid the leak should have been obvious to anyone servicing the underside of the coach. I had a pinion seal leak on my Chevy K 2500 and you could see grease all over the bottom of the truck in the axle area. I think the lesson here might be for us to be observant and if somebody else services your coach specifically ask for a diff check.

I filled mine with 75-90 synthetic.  Took 5 gallons. Losing that much oil it looks like it would have been all over the rear of the coach. Certainly your toad. I don't think Bill pulls a car however. I had a small hydraulic leak and it was signs of it on my jeep.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chappell, Is there a drain plug or how did you remove old oil. Would u say 5 gal. is the total capacity?