You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

short somewhere

(08-25-2016, 01:16 PM)77newell Wrote:  In the original picture of the box there are two fuse holders. Are both of them wired into the contactors? If so, I would guess they are each wired to a separate contactor coil. If so, I suggest turning odd all power and then measure the ohms resistance through each of the circuits to neutral or ground. They should be the same. The fuse blows due to too much current. Current will be too high if either the input voltage is too high or if the resistance in the coil is too low.

If the  oil ohms are ideal tial then I would pull the power leads to the fuses loose and measure the input voltage. If those are also identical I'm gobsmacked stumped to explain the fuse blowing.

Since I removed/checked/reinstalled the contactors, the fuse hasn't blow  - yet. But,  now when I turn the switch to shore power, I don't hear the contactor engage and there's no power coming into the coach. 
I've always been the DYI guy, but that almost guarantees me spending more time, money, and effort attempting to learn/figure out what, why, and/or how. So because I lack the proper knowledge/equipment, I'm not able to measure ohmn's, or current, and my common sense tells me to get an electrician back asap.

I'm sorry I had not picked up that the fuse was no longer blowing, my bad. Now I'll have to rethink everything. It will get figured out and then we will all be shaking our headings and thinking how was it possible we missed the solution for so long.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

(08-26-2016, 05:19 PM)77newell Wrote:  I'm sorry I had not picked up that the fuse was no longer blowing, my bad.  Now I'll have to rethink everything. It will get figured out and then we will all be shaking our headings and thinking how was it possible we missed the solution for so long.

Well that would be great and then I could stop scratching my head while I still have hair left.

This is my theory. Worth exactly nothing. Newell270 keeps referencing a 30 to 50 amp cord as big suspicion in this whole series of events. I am wondering if it was a homemade adaptor? Anyway, IF and IF the neutral was open on that adaptor cord, then the neutral is going to follow the ground to complete the circuit. If I recall the ground and neutral are bonded. That could explain why the hose became hot. The washing machine ground now became the neutral path. I am sure the electrical engineers on here will let me know what is wrong with my idea.

This would have also driven the transfer switch crazy, since there was a compromised neutral to close the circuit on the coils.

I have always suspected the replacement of the coils had some miswiring or touching wires. It's tight, and there is a lot of stuff in a small space. No fihger pointing, just saying the blown fuse showed up just after the contactors were replaced.

All of this is worth nothing. I agree with Newell270. Pay the money to get a competent electrician to sort this out. There is enough weirdness to concern me about electrocution possibilities.

And if Newell270 can attend a Newellguru rally, there are plenty that are willing to teach you how to use a Voltmeter and some basic electrical concepts. It is almost a must for long term ownership of one these machines.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

here is the schematic i made for my previous coach a 1990 coach 236 for the manual transfer switch.

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Now we are in business !!!!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(08-28-2016, 05:00 PM)encantotom Wrote:  here is the schematic i made for my previous coach a 1990 coach 236 for the manual transfer switch.

tom

I am working on this very issue right now. Never thought that a GURU would have made a drawing. Gracias.

I am guessing that the aux contact is a coil "holding contact?

I am trying to track down the lack of 240 volts from the gen set. Only one leg is producing volts and amps .

I believe the role of the auxiliary contacts is to prevent both sets of primary contactors from being engaged at the same time. I had debris holding open one of my aux. contactors and I could use shore power but got nothing on generator power. Cleaned out the debris so the contactor could close and generator power was operational again. My aux. contactors are clear so once I pulled them, I saw the junk inside one of them keeping it from closing.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(08-28-2016, 05:00 PM)encantotom Wrote:  here is the schematic i made for my previous coach a 1990 coach 236 for the manual transfer switch.

tom

Thank you. Tomorrow I will compare this to what I have.

Well I'm still working on this mystery, although I'm certain now it all started because of a faulty adapter making the neutral hot. But I must have disturbed a sleeping gremlin, because now I seem to be doing circles trying to eliminate problems.  As of this moment, I'm able to plug in shore power and power the coach, but if I switch to the generator, it'll blow the gen fuse.