You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Engine belt sans a/c

does anyone know the belt number that would fit a series 60 without using the a/c compressor?  
It is a double v-belt and mine shredded itself on our last trip.  I never use the compressor for the dash a/c so eliminating it would be ok.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

adrian, there are a number of belt configurations on the series 60 newell used.

i have a serpentine belt for the alternator and a separate twin belt setup for the ac compressor.

perhaps a picture of yours would help those that have the same setup could help from

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Adrian, I have engine pulley driving the ac comp and generator only. If you can use your compressor pulley
 [if bearing okay, it will not use any power if compressor is declutched] my belt is goodyear 2/17491tt.
Jim

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

Adrian, I did that in an emergency some years ago. I drove the coach to a Napa store. Rough measured the length of what I needed, and they gave me belts until I got one that fit. It does not have to be the double V belt. Two singles will work just fine.

The problem with your particular setup and many of the same configuration is that there is not enough wrap on the alternator pulley. When you put a load on the alternator, the belts slip, heat up, stretch, and slip even more. The process continues until the belt dies. Several gurus have installed larger alternator pulleys and obviously slightly longer belts with success. I will let them post the particulars.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Pictures and approximate measurements (since the engine lid falls on my head if I let it go it made it difficult to get exact measurements - new springs on the way...)... 
I used ArcSite for iPad and calibrated to a 3" alternator pulley (should be close) and the rest of the measurements were automated so may not be too accurate... 
Is there any advantage to running two belts versus a double-v?  Our Wanderlodge had two separate belts but there was always one loose.  I guess if you lose one belt you have the other as a backup but I bet it would still get really lose and stop working or burn through pretty quickly.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Thanks to Richard Entrekin and Gordon Jones I believe we have solved the belt wear problem with my 98 Coach on the Alternator/AC compressor dual belt on the Series 60.

My pulley was a 3 1/4 dia on the alternator and I installed a 5" pulley on the alternator. David at Alternator Service in Dallas TX who installed the 5" pulley said that I would not get any output at idle and he was correct. As soon as the RPM reaches 600 the alternator starts to charge and at 700 RPM I am reaching around 50 Amps output and after a few miles drops back to 0, while maintaining 13.6 volts. On my first trip to Port A with some construction on I 35 and some stop and go, I did not have any problems and the belts were fine when reaching Port A and on the return trip to Anna TX.
My dash A/C was not working at that time, but got it working before our trip to Santa FE( and used it the entire trip) where we are now. I have checked the belts upon arrival in Santa Fe and they are ok. So it appears that this has solved my belt problem.

We also go to Florida in March and most of the trip do not run the generator and use the inverter to run the refrigerator and other electrical devices. I am not sure how this configuration will be as the load on the alternator will increase while using the inverter, but will not  be using the dash A/C most of the trip.

Thanks again for Richard and Gordon for there help

Ed and Penny Thomas
Anna, TX
98 Newell
coach #490

I have attached a photo of the single belt setup on my coach.  Note that I have a small pulley on the alternator, but also note that the serpentine belt contacts a lot of the pulley groves due to a belt tensioner.  I would be concerned that changing to a larger alternator pulley would substantially reduce its output. Ed and Adrian, I wonder if if there is a way to install a tensioner rather than changing pulleys.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

(08-22-2016, 03:45 PM)Chester Stone Wrote:  I have attached a photo of the single belt setup on my coach.  Note that I have a small pulley on the alternator, but also note that the serpentine belt contacts a lot of the pulley groves due to a belt tensioner.  I would be concerned that changing to a larger alternator pulley would substantially reduce its output. Ed and Adrian, I wonder if if there is a way to install a tensioner rather than changing pulleys.

You are correct in the reduction of the output, but so far it has not been a problem, only when at idle. Gordon sent me some pictures of someone who did put a belt tensioner on for the v belts, but was a lot of work and custom parts were needed if I remember and changing to serpentine belts is very expensive? Like Richard said it is an inexpensive way to hopefully fix the belt problem (so did Creslie Clark) and so far it has done that and have not had any low battery problems.

Ed and Penny Thomas
Anna, TX
98 Newell
coach #490

We have not used the dash a/c and my wife had to remind me that we did not fill up the freon on this coach but on our 90 Wanderlodge. Maybe I'll try a 4" double (or twin) belt and include the a/c to see if it works. I'll call my alternator guy and find out iFix would work...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

Adrian,

The belt setup with only running the alternator will be rock solid. If you stare at the belt routing with the ad compressor in the mix you will see that the contact of the belt with the alternator pulley isn't very much. When you take the AC out you will have 180 degrees contact.

Don't worry about the double v belt. You will find on pulleys that are worn that the contact area of the double belt is the ridge between the Vs. when I tried one of those on 390 it soon wore through the web on the belts and made a single belt into two.

The reason the bigger pulley works on the alternator is two fold. One is more contact area, and two is less force on the belt. Think about changing gears to a larger sprocket on your old ten speed bike.

The serpentine setup is the cats meow. It eliminates all the problems, however, you have to change the pulleys on the engine, alternator, and AC plus add the tensioner to convert. It could easily run 1500 in parts.

@"Keith Jordan" may not know it, but he has in his spare parts drawer a set of short belts that fit the alternator only setup. Perhaps if you bought him a beer he could find them and give you the belt number.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )