You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Using our Newell
Wink 

Short weekend trips are great when you find a really good campsite.
Oak Plantation in Charleston, SC has lots of them.
We had some good neighbors & enjoyed visiting with the owner of the old greyhound. Was a very nice conversion. Almost made me miss the one I had - almost -- Then I looked at my Newell - didn't miss the old bus after all.

Can't wait for the next great adventure!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

i love the look of your newell. i also have to say the outside of the scenic cruiser is really cool as well. how was the inside?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Are you the same Kyle from SC that is on the bus conversion forum?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks, the original paint is showing its age tho. I hope it hangs on a bit longer till I decide what paint I want to use.

The Scenicruiser looked just as good on the inside.

Richard, it is very likely that I am the same one on the Bus Conversion Magazine forum , ;^)

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Being a SC boy originally I remembered a rally close to Lake Greenwood that you were associated with

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Love those scenicruiser's. Originally came with two 4-71 detroits with fluid coupling between them.
Think all were converted to 8-71's latter on.

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

I still host a "non rally" the second weekend in October every year at Palmetto Cove RV park.
This year, it is the 7th thru the 9th. early arrivals welcome.

I call it a "non rally" because I don't charge a rally fee or plan anything except shared meals. The theme is EAT & GREET. Main thing is laid back fellowship.
The meals are what I call a modified covered dish - I provide the main entree & everyone brings their favorite side or dessert or make a donation to help offset the cost of the main entree

This year will be the 11th one.

http://www.palmettocove.com/index.html

Would be great to see a few Newells there for the non rally !

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Fascinating info on the dual 4-71's. I didn't know that. The ingenuity of the early DD technical staff was astounding. The scenicruisers are one of my favorites. Smile

David Brady
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare
Asheville, NC

The dual 4-71's were connected to a 3 speed transmission that had a 2 spd clutch -- 6 fwd speeds & 2 reverse. The engines also had 2 speed settings for the engine governor, a higher speed for the lower gears & a micro switch to engage the lower speed when in 6th gear.
There are stories about how the drivers would pull the shifter back a little to leave it in the higher speed setting - this would allow the coach to exceed 100 mph.

I am lucky enough to have a friend who remembers working on the twin 4-71's as a greyhound mechanic. The stories he has. . . . .

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

(08-25-2016, 06:52 PM)kyleb Wrote:  The dual 4-71's were connected to a 3 speed transmission that had a 2 spd clutch -- 6 fwd speeds & 2 reverse. The engines also had 2 speed settings for the engine governor, a higher speed for the lower gears & a micro switch to engage the lower speed when in 6th gear.
There are stories about how the drivers would pull the shifter back a little to leave it in the higher speed setting - this would allow the coach to exceed 100 mph.

I am lucky enough to have a friend who remembers working on the twin 4-71's as a greyhound mechanic. The stories he has. . . . .

There were tough in those days [50's] had a 4905, a newer version of the 4501, with a 8-71, once hit 95 by gps going downhill, 2400 rpm. Good name. 'Screaming jimmies' ha!

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne