You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Spring Break ZipDee

We call it Key's Disease!  The price we pay for nosing up to the beautiful ( salt ) waters of Key West.

As you can see in the attached images, the rust always wins!

You are looking at the spring from my curb side bedroom window awning.

I had to smile when I read the instructions on Zipdee's site on how to replace the spring.  Basically after drilling out the rivets holding the assembly inside the tube, you are to grab onto the shaft with pliers and pull the spring out.  Sounds simple enough.

But who is going to replace a working spring?  I suppose Steve Bare might if was on his maintenance list at some mileage or years, but not the rest of us.   So, once you pull out the shaft guess what? - the broken portion of the spring is still way down there in the tube somewhere.  The instructions don't mention what to do about that :-)

I tried reaching it with my awning rod and pulling, but that applied an off center force and yielded no results.  I finally had to remove the tube from the awning fabric ( had to drill out all the pop rivets ) and work on it on the ground.   I stood it on end and gently, and then more aggressively, pounded on the tube in the area of the spring while bouncing the end of the tube on the concrete and finally I delivered the other portion of the spring assembly!

In my case I had a 2.5" tube that required the square sectioned spring.   It is Zipdee part number 221200.  Surprisingly it did not pop up on my normal internet search and on a whim, on the way to the grocery store, I stopped in at East Tennessee Luxury Coach to see Jeff Rowe and inquire there.   While he did have a spring, it was not the right one.   He offered to order it directly from Zipdee and I took him up on that.   That was last Friday and yesterday, Tuesday, it was here.   Not bad!

Another project off the list!

Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

(08-31-2016, 12:53 PM)RussWhite Wrote:  We call it Key's Disease!  The price we pay for nosing up to the beautiful ( salt ) waters of Key West.

As you can see in the attached images, the rust always wins!

You are looking at the spring from my curb side bedroom window awning.

I had to smile when I read the instructions on Zipdee's site on how to replace the spring.  Basically after drilling out the rivets holding the assembly inside the tube, you are to grab onto the shaft with pliers and pull the spring out.  Sounds simple enough.

But who is going to replace a working spring?  I suppose Steve Bare might if was on his maintenance list at some mileage or years, but not the rest of us.   So, once you pull out the shaft guess what? - the broken portion of the spring is still way down there in the tube somewhere.  The instructions don't mention what to do about that :-)

I tried reaching it with my awning rod and pulling, but that applied an off center force and yielded no results.  I finally had to remove the tube from the awning fabric ( had to drill out all the pop rivets ) and work on it on the ground.   I stood it on end and gently, and then more aggressively, pounded on the tube in the area of the spring while bouncing the end of the tube on the concrete and finally I delivered the other portion of the spring assembly!

In my case I had a 2.5" tube that required the square sectioned spring.   It is Zipdee part number 221200.  Surprisingly it did not pop up on my normal internet search and on a whim, on the way to the grocery store, I stopped in at East Tennessee Luxury Coach to see Jeff Rowe and inquire there.   While he did have a spring, it was not the right one.   He offered to order it directly from Zipdee and I took him up on that.   That was last Friday and yesterday, Tuesday, it was here.   Not bad!

Another project off the list!

Russ

That should buff out.

1995 # 390