You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Combination Grey/Black Tank ~ Issues?

I love the one tank system. There is plenty of gray water to effectively flush solids. Once the logic and layout of the plumbing is understood the system is easy to use.

I do have a flush port mounted low in the waste tank but have never used it. I feel like a few loads of laundry or occasionally filling the waste tank by running the faucets keep the waste tank fairly well flushed.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

David I have pretty much have the same system as you and will do about the same thing as you are doing. I will also once or twice a year ( depending on use) buy a couple of quarts of waste tank gauge cleaner and run it through under the two or three options shown on the instruction label.

Chris and Randee
#521 45'8"
1999 2 slide

(04-07-2018, 08:06 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Mike, typically only the toilet(s) go directly into the waste holding tank. The shower and all sinks/lavatories go into a pipe which terminates between the two valves on the driver's side. When the inner/manual value is closed and the outer/air valve is open, everything except the toilets bypasses the waste holding tank. IF the outer valve is closed and the inner valve is open, everything goes into the waste holding tank. IF both valves are close, the pipe that accepts the sink/lavatories starts filling up and at the top of the waste holding tank, tees off and dumps into the waste tank. That way if you leave both valves closed and run the sink, shower, lavatories, washer, etc, the grey water will fill the pipe between the two valves until it reaches a level above the top of the waste tank and then be discharged into the waste tank instead of backing up into the shower which is typically the next lowest point in the grey water drain system.

Thanks Michael, exactly what I was looking for. I had been told incorrectly by a RV repair guy,and it was not matching my experimentation with valves.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

I am of course reading a lot of different threads and this one caught my attention! Soooo There is a grey water bypass on the newells?? I need further training!! I have had to change two tank sensors in the last months, first one was defective. I now can at least read the level of the waste tank.

So are we saying that the waste tank fills at a different rate the the grey side? How would I know if there is a grey bypass? Ive got so much to learn!

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

Nope, you should have only 1 waste tank which holds black and gray waste. What's discussed above are the valves that allow you to direct the gray water out either on the ground (if permitted) or into the sewer system while allowing only black waste to fill the tank. When we had our Newell we would sometimes open the bypass when washing clothes so the tank wouldn't fill as quickly.
Hope you can come to the rally in Spearfish next year.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

When we were living in our Newell, we typically had full hookups. We would leave the rear dump valve closed and the front valve open almost all the time. That reduced the frequency of dumping the black water tremendously, especially since we were running the washer almost daily and my wife loves to cook which generates lots of pots and pans to wash. With the front dump valve closed we literally had to dump every 24-36 hours. Before traveling, we always dumped the black tank several hours before we were to leave to allow grey water to accumulate in the tank. The grey water sloshing around as we drove seemed to help clean the walls of the tank and the sensors. About once a week, if we were staying put that long, we would close the front valve after dumping and allow grey water to enter the tank to make sure we were not getting any accumulation of waste in the bottom of the tank. The next day we would dump the almost full tank, close the rear valve again and return to normal life. We love having 154 gallons of black water storage is wonderful.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

The key when staring at the valve setup is ONLY the black waste goes directly into the tank. All grey water enters the tank through the pipeing at the exit of the tank.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

New issue/problems 
Black tank AND fresh water tank gauges
Are BOTH showing full
Water tank is about1/2 and black tank
Is empty 

Any ideas what has happened?

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

If only one tank was malfunctioning I would say it needs to be cleaned. Since it is both and assuming it is a concurrent problem I would look for an electrical issue starting with checking for proper grounding at the gauges.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.