You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide Seal hole / roll?

Had driving rain on the last night of our labor day weekend and got lots of water in coach while we were sleeping.
After drying everything out discovered the front slide seal wasn't in the right place…its come loose from where it was glued to the wall or whatever its glued to.
After bringing it in, it got punched by the pin and has a good leak now.
I had to shut air off to the slide seal because it just hisses constantly.  
Any suggestions to first fix the leak in the inner tube-like seal and second to reposition it / glue it back in place?
Does the entire thing need to be replaced? Anybody had slide seals replaced outside of Miami, OK and whats your luck with them?
Im officially depressed over this…the plywood ceiling in the slide room is warped and irregular now so it wrinkles the leather roof slightly.
I'm afraid of the repair costs but don't have much choice.

Jonathan Shetler
1999 Newell 510
Ft Lauderdale, FL

I have replaced all the seals in my coach. You have to over extend the slide to get at the seal. Then I have never seen one repaired.. Newell cost to repair is about 3k.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Sorry to hear about your troubles - hope you can get it fixed reasonably. Not much advice but we use a plastic trowel to check the slide seals every time we open or close the slides. I did notice that after sitting under some trees that the seal was really sticky from the 'syrup' the trees produce. I will have to figure out something decent to clean them with. We have had a constant fight with the slides trying to keep them clean and it takes us about 30 minutes per slide to clean them and make sure they are not sticking.
We have a love/hate relationship with the slides...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

everytime i go to open or close the slides i hope it will work right....ha i think most of us with the hwh slides feel the same way.

a raised floor slide is easy enough to do yourself as you pull the slide in to expose the seal from the outside.

the flat floor slide you have to pull the slide OUT far enough to expose the slide from the inside. that requires a moveable platform/stand that the slide rests on and you can move. after having richard explain how newell did his, i think when my front seal goes out, i will build a rolling platform to do my own.

my bedroom slide seal has been replaced. my front slide seal is original. easy to tell. their is paint on the one that is original.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I know a few of the Wanderlodge WOG guys did their own seals and it was a big pain to perform. They created some type of rolling stand like Tom suggested and then pulled/scraped/removed the old seal. I think the seal has adhesive on it but I'm sure it is not easy to get right... I will baby the heck out of my seals and hope I don't have to replace them for a while. The best advice I can give is to keep the surface of the metal waxed and the rubber seal clean. One of the WOG guys bought a bunch of the rubber material and was cutting it to order for cheap.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40