You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

light occasional vibration

It started as a very light vibration sometimes on the highway.
Since it was intermittent, it was hard to know if it was the road or the coach.

Last trip out was a short one, but I noticed the vibration a little bit more on the trip home.

Then, this happened just a few miles away -  

http://wspa.com/2016/09/14/rv-crashes-th...c-on-i-26/

http://www.wyff4.com/news/sky-4-live-rv-...6/41662798

So, I decided to check the front bearings.

Pass side - The wheel turned smoothly & silently. The pink grease looked new.

Driver's side was a different scene.- The wheel turned smoothly, but I could hear a faint rolling sound. The pink grease was still evident, but is very dark inside the bearing. There was also a very faint rust trail from the spindle nut down.

Looks like I'll be replacing the bearings & seals soon.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Man, that is scary stuff when a tire blows.

Glad you checked your bearings. Probably a good time for all of us to take a look at our suspension components as well as our tires.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Got the hub off today - Best advice I got before taking it apart was to keep anything with blood in it above the brake drum or hub when taking them off. Gee whizzz - them suckers love the floor!

Anyway, the rear seal showed no significant leak, it had some dirt stuck to the back of it, but the backing was grease free & bone dry.
The inner bearing looked very good.
The outside bearing - definitely in need of replacement.

Measured the spindle - No love to be found. It is not round. There is about 0.003" worn off the bottom. Looks like a new spindle is in my future.

Better to deal with this at home rather than on the road, still an unexpected expense.

Any one have a spare spindle lying around for a 1987 classic?

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

A good machine shop should be able to build it up and then turn it down for you.

That is my plan - Only problem I have is that I won't know if it is a good machine shop until after the work is done . . . ;^)

That is no small job getting the spindle off, I'm still struggling with the steering arms - those suckers are in tight!

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Kyle, a trick I saw on releasing stuck taper joints was to hit the female part with a cutting torch to heat it very quickly. The key is quickly. Slow heat expands both parts at the same time, what you are trying to do is heat the outside diameter before the heat can reach the male part.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Tried a few machine shops today & a few axle repair shops. They won't touch a steer axle except to replace with new parts.

Bummer! Hope the new one I ordered is the right part.

Richard - Since I'm replacing the knuckle/ spindle, I'll be able to get them out a lot easier since I won't be worried about damage to the knuckle. :^)

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Got the knuckle off tonight without too much drama    

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

The cheap knuckle I found arrived today. looks just like the old one - BUT, the dimensions are different. I chose poorly.
Hopefully the next one will be the correct one.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Oops. Please post the part identification and source when you get it squared away

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )