You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

air compressor

(09-20-2016, 03:36 AM)Richard Wrote:  I'll take some pics of my compressor.   Series 60 is the key, not necessarily the year I would think.  

No coolant in wet tank is puzzling.  Cause if coolant is in the intake hose, then it must make its way into the compressor cylinder, and then to the wet tank, I would think.  Any liquid in the compressor is bad news because a little will wash the cylinder walls and a lot will cause the compressor to go solid and bend the rod at best. So this in my mind is a tricky diagnosis, because coolant in the compressor could result in extremely high pressures leading to blown gaskets or seals. A tear down would possibly show the blown components but you don't know if the failed seal allowed coolant in or coolant in the compression stroke caused the failed component.

I would cap the coolant lines and run it for a few miles. Then take off the intake line and see if any coolant is in the intake line.

Checked around and appears all Series 60 air compressors are water cooled and a little different that some other makes because the  fuel pump is driven off of it. Will take Richards advice and return new comp for credit and attempt to find problem with, and rebuild my original one.
Jim

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

Jim, @"jcus"

I see in another post where you did indeed rebuild the original compressor. Did you find any smoking guns or clues to the problem? Do you think you got a poor reman unit, or did you find another root cause?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(10-06-2016, 11:35 AM)Richard Wrote:  Jim, @"jcus"

I see in another post where you did indeed rebuild the original compressor. Did you find any smoking guns or clues to the problem? Do you think you got a poor reman unit, or did you find another root cause?

Richard,
Original and replacement compressors both blew out head gaskets. In doing so, allowed water side to
enter air side when compressor was unloaded. Head gaskets look like some thin type of aluminum foil
on both of them. Rebuilt with kit that had a real fiber type gasket, also bought 250 psi relief valve that
screws in top of head. [Neither one of the compressors had one.] Valves were good, so only changed 
unloaders. Also changed d2 and air dryer. Capped off comp suction line on intake manifold and put a air cleaner
on the compressor intake. [water in the engine intake manifold gave me a scare]
As any good engineer will ask you when something breaks is " what is the last thing you did to it?"
Because I threw away the turbo blanket, intake manifold air was running 150+ for a while.... 
cannot see why this would cause problem, but have now reinsulated exhaust. No long trips yet, so time will tell.
This was the only real change from before problems to after problems.

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.

Very nice summary. We will stay tuned.

It is possible, but not known, the increased temp of the incoming air along with the normal increase of air temp during the compression cycle could have exceeded the material limit for the head gasket. One would think the water cooling wouldn't let that happen, but who knows.

Really glad the coolant was coming from the compressor.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(10-06-2016, 02:29 PM)Richard Wrote:  Very nice summary. We will stay tuned.

It is possible, but not known, the increased temp of the incoming air along with the normal increase of air temp during the compression cycle could have exceeded the material limit for the head gasket. One would think the water cooling wouldn't let that happen, but who knows.

Really glad the coolant was coming from the compressor.

I am too. Thanks for the moral support.
I added some hose to the water in/out of the air compressor so if it happens again, I can bypass it, and disconnect
air line. I would like to plumb in my electric compressor that is in the compartment behind the entrance door, into 
air system, in case of  another emergency, but am having trouble finding any airline in that area.