You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Towing a Ford Edge

I'm looking at a 2016 Ford Edge SEL. Has anyone used one of these or know someone? Do they make a good tow car, etc. I plan on a Blue Ox system, all 4 wheels down, with the brakeing system. Any discussion will help.

Bob & Peg Standeford
1999 Newell #516 Series 60 DD 2 Slides
2004 Saturn Wagon

Check with FMCA to see if they list the Edge as towable. I am pleased with the Air Force One braking system and I use a wireless brake light system.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Yes the Edge is towable 4 down.  @Ozarkguy has one & loves it.  He uses the Blue Ox system & it is a very clean mounting.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Bob,

As an alternative to the SMI system, also take a look at the M&G system. Several us have those and they work well too.

Both systems use air pressure from the coach's air brakes to activate the master cylinder on the car.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(09-21-2016, 11:48 AM)Richard Wrote:  Bob,

As an alternative to the SMI system, also take a look at the M&G system. Several us have those and they work well too.

Both systems use air pressure from the coach's air brakes to activate the master cylinder on the car.

I have the M&G system and am very satisfied with it.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Thanks gang for all your advise. Three weeks of looking and planning went down the tube. How I love car salemen.  So now I'm back looking for a good Toad again. One of the major problems I have is my wife,who would guess. No she is great she has put up with me for 56 years, the problem is her size. She is about 5 ft. tall, this makes it hard for her to see over the dash. The hood needs to have a nice sloop to it. She needs to be able to adjust the seat way up, to the point where I can't even sit down in it. The best one we found was a small Nissan SUV I don't recall the name but it had to have a standard shift to be towed. Guess what, she can't drive a standard shift due to a broken leg when she was 17 years old, which left her with a weak leg. What ever we find needs to be pulled 4 on the ground and able to take the towing package, with a brake system. So I need your suggestion. We're leaving for our winter home in Las Vegas on the 24th. of Oct. till about the 20th of Mar. so I don't need to be in a hurry this time. Help.

Bob & Peg Standeford
1999 Newell #516 Series 60 DD 2 Slides
2004 Saturn Wagon

My Dad was short statured (unlike my mom) He had a cushion that he sat on to aid forward vision!!!
Also, There are some aftermarket solutions (electric pump etc.) that would allow some automatic transmission cars to tow 4 down.
A 16' car hauler would allow you to take any vehicle you want and would allow you to back the rig up if necessary.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

(09-25-2016, 07:10 AM)Bob Standeford Wrote:  Thanks gang for all your advise. Three weeks of looking and planning went down the tube. How I love car salemen.  So now I'm back looking for a good Toad again. One of the major problems I have is my wife,who would guess. No she is great she has put up with me for 56 years, the problem is her size. She is about 5 ft. tall, this makes it hard for her to see over the dash. The hood needs to have a nice sloop to it. She needs to be able to adjust the seat way up, to the point where I can't even sit down in it. The best one we found was a small Nissan SUV I don't recall the name but it had to have a standard shift to be towed. Guess what, she can't drive a standard shift due to a broken leg when she was 17 years old, which left her with a weak leg. What ever we find needs to be pulled 4 on the ground and able to take the towing package, with a brake system. So I need your suggestion. We're leaving for our winter home in Las Vegas on the 24th. of Oct. till about the 20th of Mar. so I don't need to be in a hurry this time. Help.
Take a look at a used Honda fit automatic [ you cannot tow the cvt transmission car] Low dash and no 
hood to speak of. Holds 5, 35 mpg and only weighs about 2500 lbs.

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

Also look at a used Honda CR-V. I think but not sure that 14 was the last year that could be towed four down.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )