You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell vs Foretravel

(09-25-2016, 12:53 PM)Grandpa Wrote:  Is there a significant difference in the ride quality between the two RVs? Does Newell use a lifting tag axle on their older coaches?

Have had two Foretravels and now a 45 ft tag axle Newell, and find the Newell is far more stable and easier to drive.
But the Foretravels were 40 footers with no tags and weighed 10000 lbs less than the Newell. 
Jim

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

Since you are looking at older coaches, I think you will be better served by looking at many coaches & using your best judgement.
Concerning older coaches from these two manufacturers, I would think current condition would top of the list of concerns.
Improper maintenance can ruin any quality coach.

If one looks neglected - that would worry me -- no telling what damage lies hidden.

Even if one looks well kept -- no telling how much damage lies beneath there either.

As for me, I had the privilege of looking at a 87 and an 86 before pursuing my purchase. I lucked out & the first one for sale that I looked at was perfect for us & we love it.
However, in the year I have had it, I have -
- replaced the batteries,
- had some radiator hoses replaced & the fan hub rebuilt,
- replaced the starter
- currently undertaking replacing a steering knuckle

So, even the good ones will have some issues . . . .

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740
Photo 

Here is a floor & wall section for Foretravel:

[Image: P1000164-X3.jpg]

Newell wall section, which is skinned with aluminum sheet, spray foam insulation on the inside, then interior skin.

[Image: Newell-Bare-Slides-X2.jpg]

Newell basement. Note that the X braces and sheet steel are welded. Very different with Foretravel. I have more factory photos for Foretravel, but not online. Will update later.

[Image: P1000201-X3.jpg]

Foretravel has lifting tags 03 forward and late 04 forward Newell has steering tags.  My 99 does not lift, but I can release the tag's air which I hardly ever do.  You are really comparing apples and oranges. A new Newell has always cost about double what a new  Foretravel cost regardless of what year it was made. If you are looking for a 40' forget about Newell unless you want a classic. If you would like a 45' forget about a Fortravel unless you want a really late model. All Newell's are the same high quality where Foretravel has three. During this era the 270, 295 and the 320. Even the new ones have three models after 06, they are just called by names rather than numbers.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

One BIG difference as you may well know is that FT is a 'production' coach (built on a line) whereas Newell is built per custom order so each one is pretty well unique. The FT will have a BlueBook value (which the banks like even though it may be really low) whereas the Newell will not. I had no problem convincing the bank (First Financial near Dallas, TX) of the value of a Newell with just ads from the internet for the 'same' coach. Read my rants on FT sidewalls on the Foretravel Yahoo forum (if it still exists - I started it btw). You might also consider Bluebird Wanderlodges there is a very active forum group, they hold their value very well and are all steel construction (like a tank)... I love our Newell and would never go back to an FT... A newer BlueBird on the other hand, now that's a different story...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40