You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

500 HP series Detroit engine

I'm still doing research on Newell and Foretravel DPs. I'm seeing that most of the Newell's I'be been looking at have the 500 Hp Detroit engine. I'm familiar with the Cummins that Foretravel DPs use, but know little about the Detroit. Can anyone share your experience with this drivetrain? How do they compare? Which one is more costly to mantain, etc?

I cannot compare them directly. My old 1978 Newell had a Cummins. It ran fine ,no major expenses. My current 1993 Newell has a Detroit 8V92. It runs fine...No major expenses so far. Regardless of which engine you get the most important thing is preventative maintenance:
Oil
Filters-oil, air, coolant if needed, fuel.
radiator kept clean
Coolant should be maintained.
Each engine family has minor differences in ideal operating procedures but I don't see any major differences in maintenance costs.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

There are folks that love their Detroits, others are fond of Cummings...same goes for CAT. I think what would make a difference is the number and closeness of maintenance facilities. I have my choice of where to get my engine maintained because Caterpillar shops are plentiful in the southeast.

Before you decide on the best engine, check and see where you will have it maintained.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

The Detroit Diesel Series 60 was one of the big dogs of the trucking industry for many years. Most Newells produced between 1995 (some 1994's) and 2005 (some 2006's) were powered by DD Series 60's. It is a strong 4 cycle inline six cylinder engine which replaced the 8V92 500 HP engine Newell used from the mid 1980's through most of 1994. Detroit Diesel recommended an engine rebuild every 750,000 miles. The Series 60 was sold to DaimlerChyrsler AG in 2000. Eventually, the Series 60 was made available for over the road use only to their Freightliner Division.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

The comparison of the brands is far less useful than maintenance and how regularly it was operated. Cummins and Detroit both make great engines.

If you go back to the V92 two stroke Detroit engines you need to be a bit, emphasize bit', more cautious. These engines need to be kept wound up when under load. Since these engine fire every cylinder on each revolution these engines sound like they are running twice as fast as a four stroke which causes some drivers to lug them since it sounds "right" to them. These engines do not tolerate lugging, the heads overheat. It is a great and reliable engine and I LOVE the sound it makes. And when the Jake kicks in it is even AWWESOMER.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Thanks, everyone, for sharing  your experience and knowledge about diesel engines. I'm aware of the importance of regular maintenance, though I don't know which brand is the most costly. I've read that Cat is a lot more expensive to repair than Detroit or Cummins, but not owning either, I look for educated input. I have also read that some brands have a problem with injectors, which get costly. I don't remember which ones. All input is greatly appreciated.

(09-27-2016, 07:31 AM)77newell Wrote:  The comparison of the brands is far less useful than maintenance and how regularly it was operated. Cummins and Detroit both make great engines.

If you go back to the V92 two stroke Detroit engines you need to be a bit, emphasize bit', more cautious. These engines need to be kept wound up when under load. Since these engine fire every cylinder on each revolution these engines sound like they are running twice as fast as a four stroke which causes some drivers to lug them since it sounds "right" to them. These engines do not tolerate lugging, the heads overheat. It is a great and reliable engine and I LOVE the sound it makes. And when the Jake kicks in it is even AWWESOMER.

DITTO..................

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I have owned all three.  I prefer Detroit, Cummins, Cat in that order.  I will say that all are good engines and if I liked a particular coach any three will be fine.  Past service means more than which engine.  For me the Cat cost me more per year than the others, and I bought the coach new.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

It is important to know if the engine has been overheated. Most good shops have computers that can be connected to the engine and give that information. I had my Detroit 60 checked by a dealer before I purchased it. Now, I love the engine.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica