You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Road master or Blue Ox

Any opinions or benefits of one or the other? I have 2013 Chevy Avalanche and price for both installed is almost the same. Reading the installation instructions it is hard to tell which if either will have to cut on my bumper. The shop I am considering 4 State Trailers in Fairland, OK. They recently did a couple of Newells pulling Jeeps with Roadmaster and have not installed Blue Ox but will.
Thanks Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

i have the roadmaster all terrain and it has been just fine. no cutting on my honda crv.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I also have Roadmaster All Terrain, no cutting on my Honda Odyssey. Be sure to get the all terrain or equivalent to avoid any binding.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

(10-07-2016, 03:57 PM)Chester Stone Wrote:  I also have Roadmaster All Terrain, no cutting on my Honda Odyssey.  Be sure to get the all terrain or equivalent to avoid any binding.

I'm a Road Master All Terrain guy. Thousands of miles with no problems. Somewhere I read an article about the Blue Ox having some issues. I will try to find it and post.

2002 Foretravel U320

(10-07-2016, 05:02 PM)[email protected] Wrote:  
(10-07-2016, 03:57 PM)Chester Stone Wrote:  I also have Roadmaster All Terrain, no cutting on my Honda Odyssey.  Be sure to get the all terrain or equivalent to avoid any binding.

I'm a Road Master All Terrain guy. Thousands of miles with no problems. Somewhere I read an article about the Blue Ox having some issues. I will try to find it and post.
That would be great Chester. The previous owner had Blue Ox and told me to get heavy gloves to wear when attaching or detaching because of pinch points. I have no experience so really appreciate perspectives as I have to make a decision by Monday :-)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

my all terrain doesnt pinch me.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

My blue ox does not pinch me either, but my toad is only 2500 lbs so I can handle it.

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

I have used both Blue Ox & Roadmaster.  I have towed with the 10,000# all-Terrain tow bar for over 100,000 miles.  It performed perfectly.

I just changed tow vehicles & researched both companies for replacement.  I went with the Blue Ox 10,000# Aventa mainly because it is a much cleaner, modern look when towing.  I feel Roadmaster needs to update their setup.  

I would not consider an aluminum bar from either company.  jmho

I have not experienced any pinch points with either bar.

If after reading the installation instructions you are not sure if the bumper needs to be cut I would call each company's tech support and ask the question.  My experience is a small amount of trimming is normally needed, but I am not familiar with the Avalanche specifically.  Contacting customer support may also give you some insight into who has the best customer service.  I have not been totally pleased with Roadmaster tech support lately.

I have a Roadmaster 10,000# all-Terrain tow bar for sale for $150.00.  You pay shipping or I will deliver if traveling in your area or you pick up.  Tow bar has high mileage, but has been maintained perfectly.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I've had both. Currently use Blue Ox. Both did the job but I prefer the blue ox as it releases easier when unhooking toad on uneven terrain. I also have a rock hard bumper on my jeep that has the blue ox connector bracket so that the tow bar connects directly to the bumper. I think the blue ox style bracket attachment is better in this application.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

I have the Blue Ox Aventa. I tow a 2011 GMC Sierra Z 71. The mounting kit bolts to the frame rails. You remove the front tow hooks and the tow bar hooks up there. No cutting at all.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458