You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

new addition to the newell house

Gorgeous car and cool too! Must be nice to have all the cool toys...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

ok,  i have to admit i have the engineers sickness.  i drove the car 4 or 5 times then i took it all apart.  i have changed the front spindles to stock mustang 2 ones as the dropped spindles made the front end too low for me.  

i 100 percent stripped the interior out.  took the door and wing windows out (6) and bead blasted the garnishes and had a hot rod buddy straighten them out and install all new felts and window channels.  the old felts were staples on in 1940 to metal.  

i took out all the door latches, catches, window regulators, etc etc and redid or replaced.  every interior mechanical piece has been taken out, cleaned of 75 years of gunk and polished.  

the only rust on the entire car was in the trunk and the center support brace that held the trunk latch was rusted so i cut it out and had a metal fab shop make a u channel for me that we cut and shaped and put in place.  looks like it was original.  

darlene is the master dynamater and you can see her handiwork.  

we decided to totally redo the inside.  it will have a new headliner and all new door panels.  the original coil spring rear seat will be remade with high density foam and the interior will be 2 tone tan.  lighter than what was in there. fronts seats were already modern and buckets so they will be reshaped and re upholstered.   

trunk will be all new with side panels upholstered and new carpet throughout the car with new mats as well.  the master cylinder is under the drivers feet so there is an access hole there that will be covered.  

i have the garnishes at the body shop being totally smoothed out and s stage painted to match the new interior.  

i have just a few little things to finish, then off to the trimmers for the new inside.  

should be done by end of april.  

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I thought this had the "real" deal restoration already. Are you bored in your retirement? I have a 94 Newell that could use your talents. Should I send it out?

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

It was nice already I just like to tear things apart and make it really the way I want it

Tom

after 3 months at the trimmers, we got the car back last thursday.  the interior is very very nice.   there is an awesome center console with cup holders and usb chargers as well that is not in the pictures.  also a double din head unit with a rear view camera so i can actually see something behind me when driving.  

darlene did the embroidery on the headrests and the back of the trunk.  we had a new headliner and high end carpet as well.  i had the window garnishes painted to match the upholstery.  also had suicide door latches put in and they have microswitches on them so if they are not latched, little blue lights come on the dash to tell me they are not locked.  not meant for security, but for safety.  ya dont want suicide doors to come open when you are driving and i have grandkids....

now to fix the rest of the little things

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You will sure turn some heads when that beauty rolls down the street....

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Very nice , Tom....40 Ford, One of my all-time favorite designs. It was worth the wait.!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

VERY nice job!!

Shawn does very nice work. Looks even better than the last time I saw it!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I am thinking you will not be using as a wheels down toad?