You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

front drivers side slowly dropping over a day or two troubleshooting

i think it has slowed down, but not sure. i am keeping a log now on it.

since i cant fit up there, it will just have to stay this way until uncle richard comes to visit.....ha

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I am a little new at this. I have a leak the requires the compressor to cycle every 20 minutes. I was going to start on the obligatory Newell air leak hunt. Should I save that for Richard? I have saved the wheel polishing for Clarke out of respect.....

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I'm pretty good at supervision.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Tom: I have a thought based on my 93 coach behavior.

On mine, if the back sags a bit to one side the front seems to sag more to that side. It’s almost as if the back is levering the front down. Is it possible that the leak is at the rear and that's why you haven't found it.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

after logging the drop for another day or so, i will do the same work for the back. i want to replace the up solenoids with the bigger orfiice ones anyway.

thanks

tom

For those of us who don't speak fluent air pressure, could one of you tell me what an "HCV" is?  I'm guessing that the C is for control and the V is for valve, so what does that make the H, height?

Paul & Jane McCullough

hi paul,

yes, it is the height control valve or ride height valve. there is one between your rear axles mounted on the frame rail and you can see it if you look up in there (one on each side in the rear) and one front one up higher in the middle over the front axle.

they are what adjusts the height of the coach as you are driving.

tom

ok,  i am back at it again,

the pictures show the modified test valve setup i used this week.  

i wanted to make sure it was the front left dropping.

the modified valve setup added another ball valve on the side of the airbag/tank so that i could release and add air manually using a air hose with it isolated from the six pack.  reason to follow

the data is in the two pictures.  

i measured air pressure in the isolated bag and did a baseline ride height measurement at all 4 corners.  

over 24 hours the front left dropped 2 1/2 inches and the other corners acted accordingly.  that corresponded to 13psi  from 83 to 70psi.  then to make sure non of the other corners dropped i manually filled the front left bag using my shop air through the fill port if added to the valve setup.  i filled the bag till it got to the same ride height as at the beginning of the test.  after that i measured the other 3 corners and they were within my accuracy of being at the same ride height as at the beginning.  

so for sure, the leak is between the sixpack and the bag.  

i have 2 new front airbags i will have installed next week.  i will hook an airline directly to the bag we take out and hopefully that will be the leak.  if not, it is the airline from the bag to the tank, the tank or the line from the sixpack to the tank.  

time will tell

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tom,  attached is a picture of a split brass reducing bushing that was in the ballast tank and fed air to the air spring via 3/4" braided hose.  It leaked down overnight.  It was VERY difficult to remove and replace.

Just maybe you have the same issue.

[attachment=5025]

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

could you hear it or see it blow bubbles if you sprayed it?

tom