You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

front drivers side slowly dropping over a day or two troubleshooting

i couldn't since my hearing is so bad but one of my guys could hear it even though it was tiny.  it did show up on the leak detector liquid test.  if it weren't for the skinny guy, would have never been able to remove it.  As it was, I had to modify and make some new tools because of the limited space.  It is in the ballast tank that is welded between the frame rails and accessible only with very rubbery arms.

I think it was split from the day it was installed.  When they cranked in the flared fitting, they went too deep causing the split.  You can see the split in the picture as a small black line perpendicular to the threads.  The tank has a 1" welded hub but the hose is 3/4", hence the bushing.

I was really glad to have it repaired.........

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

When working on the large hoses and fittings for the air bags I've found that they don't have to be heavily torqued in order to be air tight. These hoses and fittings are designed to handle far more pressure than we subject them to. Since I use a sealant on the fittings that seems to harden a bit I don't worry they will shake loose in the future. As for the flare nuts, I've used an 18 inch bar and "uhh" torque. I don't know if they will shake lose or not, but so far so good.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

today had the front airbags changed. when i got home i pressurized the old airbag to 80psi and will check to see if it goes down overnite.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

back at trying to find the front drivers side airbag/system leak.

put it up on jack stands and hooked up my test pressure gauge set.  dont pay attention to the label i wrote on the test jig.  the right side is going to the line that feeds the ping tank that feeds the airbag.  the other side goes to the six pack.

i pressurized it up using the air in the coach (shop air) to 100psi both sides.  then closed the ball valve between the two sides to isolate each side.  the side going to the six pack stayed steady at 100psi.  the side headed towards the airbag went down 20 psi to 80 in 24 hours.  

next step is the start trying to isolate the leak. once again.....

all there is is the line from the six pack to the ping tank.  the fittings on the ping tank...and the line to the airbag.  the airbag is new.  

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(12-21-2018, 03:48 PM)encantotom Wrote:  back at trying to find the front drivers side airbag/system leak.

put it up on jack stands and hooked up my test pressure gauge set.  dont pay attention to the label i wrote on the test jig.  the right side is going to the line that feeds the ping tank that feeds the airbag.  the other side goes to the six pack.

i pressurized it up using the air in the coach (shop air) to 100psi both sides.  then closed the ball valve between the two sides to isolate each side.  the side going to the six pack stayed steady at 100psi.  the side headed towards the airbag went down 20 psi to 80 in 24 hours.  

next step is the start trying to isolate the leak. once again.....

all there is is the line from the six pack to the ping tank.  the fittings on the ping tank...and the line to the airbag.  the airbag is new.  

tom

A little gem I found on mine.Raise coach as high as possible with bags.Supply guage would drop 5 psi in 16 hours.Level coach lower so I was not jumping off a cliff when exiting the coach and supply would drop 20 psi in 5 minutes.Ok time to play with bubbles.valve that release genny slide pooring out air. Put gate valve in front of it( too cheap to replace original)That should be it.Nope, 20 psi drop in 6 minutes.next up air fitting (push type ) going to curb side air waste valve.Replaced with compression fitting.No improvement.Raise coach back up high.supply guage drop 5 psi 22 hours.Drop it back down gushing air again.can not get under it to look when that low.Jack up put blocks under wheels lower back down.push connector on six pack was leaking bad.something was putting fitting in a bind when coach was low making it leak.3/8 to 1/8 fitting if memory serves.replaced fitting with a new push fitting did not have correct size in brass.All is well.Nope, there is another one just like it that was not leaking until I after I fixed the first one. waiting on brass fittings for mo better repair.Currently aux compressor cycles every 6 hours. I know it can be better but after 2 days of frustration cussing and kicking the dog I am taking a break.good luck tom.

1995 # 390