You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

looking for new insurance

I was with Progressive, but they started raising the rates until they wanted ~$3200/yr. I started shopping and ended up at National General for about 2 years. They decided to stop insuring RV’s. So shopping again led me to Safeco. They’ve been ok so far. Hopefully it will stay that way!

06 M450LXi 3 slide

I have my RV and Jeep insured with Hartford through AARP. Together they are $2,100/year. This is my second year and the increase was negligible.
I have no idea if they would insure a new coach at replacement value.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

hbens Wrote:I have my RV and Jeep insured with Hartford through AARP. Together they are $2,100/year. This is my second year and the increase was negligible.

I have no idea if they would insure a new coach at replacement value.

I wonder when did you have your policy with Hartford through AARP? Do you have other insurance policies bundled together?

I ask this because I already have an existing policy covering my 3 other vehicles with Hartford through AARP, with a premium total of about $1500
Upon acquiring 701, I called them to get a quote for adding coach 701, they told me I should use their online portal under services to "add a vehicle". So I went through that form filling process, inputting VIN, mileage, maker, model, etc. Select "Motorhome", then select maker "Newell".... after going thru that process, the web portal says "... unfortunately in order to keep the price competitive, unable to add into the program currently enrolled..." and it suggests contacting customer service for further assistance. So I called AARP customer service again, the response was they don't insure expensive/luxury motorhomes like these.

I eventually end up with Progressive, just for the coach 701 as a separate policy.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Hey guys...

You resurrected a 4 year old post, which isn't too helpful when it comes to insurance info. I suggest you look at a more contemporary thread that was started by Ed, and will give you some of the latest findings.

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=6650

Steve

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

I tried State Farm as I've been with them for 30 years on auto/home with zero claims, but on an older coach it just didn't work as the premiums were way out of whack. SF asks as part of the intake process "what was MSRP", not what you paid for it or what you think the value is. Does not matter if the coach is new or 30 years old and they say there is an algorithm that adjusts the value on their end. Seemed like total hogwash as there is no way an algorithm can accurately value a 20 year old in my case super low volume coach with no book value. So that said the premium was double most everyone else I checked. The funny part of the story is that some SF agents don't ask MSRP, they are asking what did you pay for it or what it the current market value of your coach and basing their premiums off of that number. SF corporate confirmed it would be considered fraud by the agent, but they seem to have no interest cleaning up their books.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

I have been with State Farm on my new and previous Blue Bird. My premium is around $700-800 a year. Declared value $120k, comp and collision deductibles of $1000. I also have my car and homeowners there.

Alan Johnson
Dallas Tx

Newell #485
1998 2 slides

Alan, I would love to speak with your agent if you could pass me his info. When asked previously my SF agent said there was no such thing as declared value and all they would do was the goofy algorithm that had an 03' at about 4k/year.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

i asked about declared value several times. though you can declare a value, that is what they base the rate on. it does not mean you will be able to get that much if you have a total loss.

i have national general insurance. i have heard they are no longer insuring newells and prevosts. i was told that before i renewed last august. maybe i am grandfathered in, i will find out in the summer when the renewal comes up.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Good point Tom. I'm probably confusing declared value with agreed value where supposedly that is what you'd get in a total loss.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO