You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Pressure Switch

316 has a 12V compressor just ahead of rear passenger side tire in a spot just inside the inner aluminum "wall" accessed from the bay door. I have an air toilet and air step cover. My 12V compressor will not put out enough air to work the toilet properly. I'm wondering if there is a check valve someplace that is not working. It's on my "todo" list. I'm getting by using the 115V compressor and the engine compressor.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

There is likely a pressure regulator on or near the 12 volt air compressor.

I appreciate the information on 316 having an air toilet. I wasn't sure when they started putting air toilets in but we know it was at least by 1993.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(10-23-2016, 12:49 PM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  316 has a 12V compressor just ahead of rear passenger side tire in a spot just inside the inner aluminum "wall" accessed from the bay door. I have an air toilet and air step cover. My 12V compressor will not put out enough air to work the toilet properly. I'm wondering if there is a check valve someplace that is not working. It's on my "todo" list. I'm getting by using the 115V compressor and the engine compressor.

Had the same problem, found 12 volt compressor was set at 30 psi, not enough for toilet and air door.
Set it up to 60 psi and all works good.
Jim

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

At the risk of another goof on my part on this thread, on the Newell setups I have had my hands on, there is both a well pump pressure switch with high and low setpoints, a regulator, and a check valve to keep the 12V from pressuring the entire air system.

If the pressure is low, it could be a simple adjustment on the regulator. Or it could be the setpoints on the on off well pump switch need adjustment.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(10-23-2016, 04:31 PM)Richard Wrote:  At the risk of another goof on my part on this thread, on the Newell setups I have had my hands on, there is both a well pump pressure switch with high and low setpoints, a regulator, and a check valve to keep the 12V from pressuring the entire air system.

If the pressure is low, it could be a simple adjustment on the regulator. Or it could be the setpoints on the on off well pump switch need adjustment.
I might have messed up, but my air door only worked off eng or ac compressor system. Found a blanked off air line in compartment behind 12 v compressor. So 'teed" it into 12 volt comp discharge and adjusted it  to 60 psi. Whole system stays around 60 psi now, even with no ac air compressor. Do not know if there are any check valves to prevent main system from dumping into toilet, air door, or door slide system in case of leak there, but brake side stays at 120, so know there is a check valve working there.

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

You didn't mess up, the regulator you adjusted is downstream of the input from the big compressor/aux compressor. It is there just to regulate the pressure to the air toilet. It just so happens the doors are also on that circuit.

The toilet does not like air pressures much above 60. It jams the sequencing valve.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

My air doors don't like more than 40 but my toilet needs right around 60 to work well. I used to have to futz with the regulator to make them both happy. Finally, I put two regulators in. One for the doors and the other for the toilet. All are happy now.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Best solution Bill. Good job.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Right, I understand about the doors. The actuators for the doors should have adjustable mufflers on the outlets to the solenoid valves to adjust speed of opening and closing. However, those actuators are often buried deep inside hidden compartments, so adding a second regulator to the door circuit was a great idea and much easier to implement.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Photo 

I also found this switch to be leaking. This is why I had to drop and remove the hydraulic fluid heat exchanger to get to it.  This is where I ordered it from, cost was $45.36.
Part# 228750
AnythingTruck.com, Truck & Trailer Parts and Accessories Warehouse
2350 4th Ave, Moline, IL 61265
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 309-623-4440

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jeff and Pam Reganall
1996 45' Newell Coach #432 Series 60, Allison 6 Speed
Towing 2012 3/4T Ram Truck loaded with the RZR XP Turbo