You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Dash Leveling switch wiring

I think the red wires are OK. Here's my thinking. The red wire that goes to the diode connection provides power to the travel solenoids. The other red wire coming from the ignition, is just to ensure that anytime the ignition is on, the coach WILL be in travel mode regardless of where the Level switch is located. When the Level switch is in Travel mode, all that happens is the RED is connected to Orange/black, both of which are 12V +. And No power is connected to the Orange/blk wire going to the four up/down solenoids. So you couldn't raise or lower the coach if you wanted to with the switch in Travel.

This next part is pure conjecture on my part. The way that it is wired you will ALWAYS be in travel mode if the ignition is on. That is a nice failsafe to keep you from driving while in Level mode. However it prevents you from raising the coach to clear an obstacle while moving. I don't know if Newell wired it that way or a PO wired it that way for failsafe.

When the Level switch is in the Level Mode, it provides 12v+ power via the Orange/black wire in the center to the Orange/bl wire that feeds the four individual up/down solenoids enabling you to power them.

I do not understand the purpose of the blue wire, and the white/blue wire. I cannot really determine where they go from the Level switch. Perhaps you could trace those out and we can make sense of the logic.

We are getting much closer to understanding how the system works.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(11-04-2016, 04:54 PM)Richard Wrote:  I think the red wires are OK. Here's my thinking. The red wire that goes to the diode connection provides power to the travel solenoids. The other red wire coming from the ignition, is just to ensure that anytime the ignition is on, the coach WILL be in travel mode regardless of where the Level switch is located. When the Level switch is in Travel mode, all that happens is the RED is connected to Orange/black, both of which are 12V +. And No power is connected to the Orange/blk wire going to the four up/down solenoids. So you couldn't raise or lower the coach if you wanted to with the switch in Travel.

This next part is pure conjecture on my part. The way that it is wired you will ALWAYS be in travel mode if the ignition is on. That is a nice failsafe to keep you from driving while in Level mode. However it prevents you from raising the coach to clear an obstacle while moving. I don't know if Newell wired it that way or a PO wired it that way for failsafe.

When the Level switch is in the Level Mode, it provides 12v+ power via the Orange/black wire in the center to the Orange/bl wire that feeds the four individual up/down solenoids enabling you to power them.

I do not understand the purpose of the blue wire, and the white/blue wire. I cannot really determine where they go from the Level switch. Perhaps you could trace those out and we can make sense of the logic.

We are getting much closer to understanding how the system works.
The blue wire runs to the back pack and the white/blue the front or visa-versa. But I'm just having a hard time understanding that red piggybacked wire going to the fuse panel. I mean if the ignition is off but the switch is down, it lets power feed backward through the fuse panel, and that doesn't seem logical?

"blue wire runs to the back pack and the white/blue the front or visa-versa." Is back pack the rear six pack?

Do you have one or two six packs in the rear?

I see your point on feeding power back through the fuse panel.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

(11-05-2016, 05:07 AM)Richard Wrote:  "blue wire runs to the back pack and the white/blue the front or visa-versa."  Is back pack the rear six pack?

Do you have one or two six packs in the rear?

I see your point on feeding power back through the fuse panel.

Two 6packs in back and one in front. So it seems like the red ignition wire should be connected to the open center terminal - yes?

(11-04-2016, 06:35 AM)House Divided Wrote:  I have the manual leveling system. Dash switch picture attached. the "leveling" toggle simply toggles between travel and leveling modes. the "master" switch is a three position switch - serving as a master air dump or raise once you are toggled into leveling mode.

Would you happen to have a picture of the backside of your leveling mode switches?

Can we start another place? Does the system function as it is supposed to? If the answer is yes, then I would be reluctant to change any wiring until I fully understood the electrical logic. If the answer is no, then let's figure out the logic before making any conclusions. But, its your coach, put a jumper across to the terminal, and see what happens.

If you put the coach in Level mode, can you raise and lower all four corners?
If you put the coach in Travel mode, does it return to the correct height?
What happens when you press the tag switch?

I am sorry, but as an observer I have not seen any logic to connecting the red wire to the center terminal. Unless you know something that has not come out in the conversation. I do agree something appears to be missing from that terminal. If you look at it carefully, does it show previous signs of a connector scuff mark? But, its your coach, put a jumper across to the terminal, and see what happens.

In one of the pictures a black lead is alligator clipped to a switch, is there any reason for that?

If you want further help figuring this out, then it would help if you took the time and listed each switch, the color and position of the wires exiting. The standard way of designating a wire color with a stripe is the main color is first, followed by the stripe color. Such as White/ blk.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

(11-05-2016, 09:43 AM)Newell270 Wrote:  
(11-04-2016, 06:35 AM)House Divided Wrote:  I have the manual leveling system. Dash switch picture attached. the "leveling" toggle simply toggles between travel and leveling modes. the "master" switch is a three position switch - serving as a master air dump or raise once you are toggled into leveling mode.

Would you happen to have a picture of the backside of your leveling mode switches?

I do not unfortunately, and I'm away from home and coach for a few weeks or I would gladly take some.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

(11-05-2016, 11:11 AM)Richard Wrote:  Can we start another place? Does the system function as it is supposed to? If the answer is yes, then I would be reluctant to change any wiring until I fully understood the electrical logic. If the answer is no, then let's figure out the logic before making any conclusions. But, its your coach, put a jumper across to the terminal, and see what happens.

If you put the coach in Level mode, can you raise and lower all four corners?
If you put the coach in Travel mode, does it return to the correct height?
What happens when you press the tag switch?

I am sorry, but as an observer I have not seen any logic to connecting the red wire to the center terminal. Unless you know something that has not come out in the conversation. I do agree something appears to be missing from that terminal. If you look at it carefully, does it show previous signs of a connector scuff mark?  But, its your coach, put a jumper across to the terminal, and see what happens.

In one of the pictures a black lead is alligator clipped to a switch, is there any reason for that?

If you want further help figuring this out, then it would help if you took the time and listed each switch, the color and position of the wires exiting. The standard way of designating a wire color with a stripe is the main color is first, followed by the stripe color. Such as White/ blk.

The black alligator clip is just my tester light. 
As far as if it worked correctly, well I assumed it did, but then I also thought it automatically leveled itself. And thinking back, there were more than a few times I thought it had a crappy automatic system because I had to put it in manual mode to raise the coach before traveling .
The manual mode works to raise and lower the four corners but only the tag switch works when in travel mode. I haven't used the tag switch much only because I don't know enough about what level it should be. 
And yes there looks to be scuff marks on the open center terminal.
I found the list Newell taped to the back of the fuse panel cover, and that red wire coming from the fuse panel is for the "Leveling ignition."  
Of course I could just save time and call Newell about it on Monday, but then that might be too simple and that's no fun?
Again I do appreciate all the help and I'll work on that list for each switch.

(11-05-2016, 04:09 PM)House Divided Wrote:  
(11-05-2016, 09:43 AM)Newell270 Wrote:  

I do not unfortunately, and I'm away from home and coach for a few weeks or I would gladly take some.
Thank you anyway.

For what my opinion is worth, I would suggest as Richard did a thorough understanding of the way the system is supposed to work. If I am repeating the obvious I apologize. I say all this because it seems like your system should function the same as mine. Since each coach is different, I can only relay how mine works. it may or may not be exactly the same.

A couple of comments stand out.

First: you mentioned that only the tag switch works while in travel mode. That is as it should be. On my coach the tag axle and therefore tag switch is not part of the manual leveling system in any way. It is used only while in travel mode for special low speed circumstances. Mine is a three position switch - up to increase air pressure on the tag - down to dump air from the tag. Center position is for normal driving. With the leveling system in travel mode and tag switch in center position the tag axle function is automatic. Also the four manual level switches should not function in travel mode - height control (ride height) is tranferred to the height control valves in travel mode.

Second: you mentioned that you have had to manually raise the coach before traveling and that when switched to travel mode the coach will level itself on slightly uneven surfaces. These scenarios obviously aren't normal. Switching out of level mode into travel mode should allow the height control valves to take over with no additional input required from the driver. Kind of a random question, but Is it possible the ride height is not correct? If the HCV's are out of adjustment its feasible the coach will sit too low causing you to have to raise it before traveling - or if one side HCV is off its unlikely but possible that the coach would "level" itself on uneven surfaces.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse