You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Dash Leveling switch wiring

David you make some excellent points and you may be on to something in your second comment.

I would like to mention that Newell changed the way the tag axle dump operates sometime between my coach (281) and yours (427). The earlier coaches had two six packs in the rear and the later coaches only had one. The earlier coaches did not have the capability of increasing the pressure on the tag axle from the drivers seat, they used a switch with only normal and dump positions and, at in least mine, dump position dumps tag air in both travel mode and level mode. I have confirmed this both in the owners manual and electrically by confirming when the tag dump solenoids were actuated, although mine does have the HWH auto-leveling system rather than the Newell controls.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Given that the Leveling seems to work as it should, can you run a simple and quick diagnostic. Put the coach in Level mode, lower all four corners as far down as you can get the coach. Put the Level switch in Travel mode with engine running. Does it return to proper ride height?

One of the things that may have this thread slightly asunder is that we may be using the same words to describe different things.

The way that I am thinking about terminology is this. When I say the coach is level, that means that if I put a level on the counter or floor that the surface is level, meaning the four corners have been adjusted to level the coach.

In travel mode, the coach will be an equal distance off the ground when measured at the corners of the wheel wells. To the best of my knowledge that measurement is usually 11 to 11.5 inches on our era coaches.

The reason that I suggest the diagnostic that I do is that the height control valves have a bit of hysteresis when lowering from high to travel. I learned this from an engineer who works with HCVs. If you are adjusting height, always lower and let the valve bring the coach back to ride height.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Michael, thank you for the clarification - I didn't know that.

Richard, just my recent experience, my coach had a slight lean to it in travel mode I needed to correct. Newell told me they like to see 12" ride height, measured from the ground to the bottom of the bay support framework that protrude slightly into each steer and drive wheel well.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

After almost an hour talking with Robert at Newell today, I don't know much more then yesterday. 

Nothing against Robert, as he is very helpful and nice, he just doesn't have access to a lot of info for older coaches. 
Facing the back side of the switch, the terminals are from top left #1, left center #2, left bottom #3, top right #4 & so on.
He thinks the red piggybacked wires on #4 should be connected on the #2 center terminal. He says the tag is only supposed to be active when the ignition is on. 
He also thinks the blue wire #1 and white/black wire #3 should be connected together on the #1 terminal, but wants me to double check that they supply power to both front and back 6packs when in Travel mode. At least the orange/black wires #5 & 6 are correct. 
Any thoughts?

I can only comment as if I were trying to solve this problem on my coach. If I were trying to solve this problem I would take the time to identify the destination of all the colored wires originating at the Level/Travel switch before I rewired the switch. And I check the wiring logic against how the system should function.

I would carefully run the system in both leveling and travel modes to establish a baseline of what it is and is not doing.

Before rewiring the switch I would carefully note the original wiring.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

I am going to post pictures of the leveling switch and the master switch that @"Keith Jordan"  was kind enough to take for you. He owns coach 390 which has the manual leveling setup. I have no way of knowing if the same color wiring scheme or even if the same wiring logic was used on your coach and coach 390, so use this information at your discretion.

Leveling/Travel switch

Other Side

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

(11-08-2016, 04:12 AM)Richard Wrote:  I am going to post pictures of the leveling switch and the master switch that @"Keith Jordan"  was kind enough to take for you. He owns coach 390 which has the manual leveling setup. I have no way of knowing if the same color wiring scheme or even if the same wiring logic was used on your coach and coach 390, so use this information at your discretion.

Leveling/Travel switch

Master Up/Down switch
Both of these pics are of the leveling/ travel switch.One from each side.In image one the master switch can be seen above the level switch.It is the one with 3 wires.

1995 # 390

Thanks Keith. I lost track of the photos getting them from text to email to computer to forum. Isn't technology great!

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

In the right hands yes.In my hands not so much.

1995 # 390

(11-08-2016, 05:08 AM)Keith Jordan Wrote:  
(11-08-2016, 04:12 AM)Richard Wrote:  I am going to post pictures of the leveling switch and the master switch that @"Keith Jordan"  was kind enough to take for you. He owns coach 390 which has the manual leveling setup. I have no way of knowing if the same color wiring scheme or even if the same wiring logic was used on your coach and coach 390, so use this information at your discretion.

Leveling/Travel switch

Master Up/Down switch
Both of these pics are of the leveling/ travel switch.One from each side.In image one the master switch can be seen above the level switch.It is the one with 3 wires.
 I finally figured it out, and your pictures just validated what I thought, thank you. I made a diagram as to what goes where.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)