You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator and compressor

This seems weird to me, when I start my generator the 120v compressor starts running full time. I tried this twice and both times I started the generator the compressor started running. I had the coach plugged into shore power at the time. The previous owner had a new compressor installed in 2015, and he rarely used the generator. Could this be wired wrong is is this expected behavior?
Thanks
Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

(10-23-2016, 06:35 PM)Jmginn78 Wrote:  This seems weird to me, when I start my generator the 120v compressor starts running full time. I tried this twice and both times I started the generator the compressor started running. I had the coach plugged into shore power at the time. The previous owner had a new compressor installed in 2015, and he rarely used the generator. Could this be wired wrong is is this expected behavior?
Thanks
Mike

Doesn't appear normal, sounds like it is wired into gen output before transfer switch, otherwise would run on shorepower also. Check and make sure it is cutting on and off at proper pressures also.
Jim

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

(10-23-2016, 06:46 PM)jcus Wrote:  
(10-23-2016, 06:35 PM)Jmginn78 Wrote:  This seems weird to me, when I start my generator the 120v compressor starts running full time. I tried this twice and both times I started the generator the compressor started running. I had the coach plugged into shore power at the time. The previous owner had a new compressor installed in 2015, and he rarely used the generator. Could this be wired wrong is is this expected behavior?
Thanks
Mike

Doesn't appear normal, sounds like it is wired into gen output before transfer switch, otherwise would run on shorepower also. Check and make sure it is cutting on and off at proper pressures also.
Jim

I am not sure how to check if shutting on and off on proper pressures. It has seemed fine both parked hooked to shore power and in travel mode. I was just running the generator to exercise it, and notice the compressor coming on. If it was wired before the transfer switch would it work normally on shore power?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

(10-23-2016, 07:06 PM)Jmginn78 Wrote:  
(10-23-2016, 06:46 PM)jcus Wrote:  
Thanks
Mike

Jim

I am not sure how to check if shutting on and off on proper pressures. It has seemed fine both parked hooked to shore power and in travel mode. I was just running the generator to exercise it, and notice the compressor coming on. If it was wired before the transfer switch would it work normally on shore power?

If wired before transfer switch it should only work on gen power. In travel mode, [with engine running] there is no need for it to run. Try dumping air with hwh and raising coach with hwh, on shorepower, with engine off, you should hear comp come on when air pressure, [dash gauge probably drivers side] falls below 70 psi or so. will shut off at 90. psi or so. This will tell you if it works on shorepower.

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.

It absolutely works on shorepower, we have stayed in the coach several days and I can hear when it kicks on and off, which is what makes it so weird that it ran the entire time I started the gen. The second time I watched just to double check, the compressor started running a few seconds after the generator started, and stopped when I stopped the gen. Next time I will disconnnect from shorepower and test only on gen.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

(10-23-2016, 07:46 PM)Jmginn78 Wrote:  It absolutely works on shorepower, we have stayed in the coach several days and I can hear when it kicks on and off, which is what makes it so weird that it ran the entire time I started the gen. The second time I watched just to double check, the compressor started running a few seconds after the generator started, and stopped when I stopped the gen. Next time I will disconnnect from shorepower and test only on gen.

That is strange, if your compressor is next to generator like mine, open gen and start, that tap pressure switch [if there] connections, move air lines,  etc to see if that affects it.
Do not leave on gen power very long with gen out.
Might be vibration of gen when running affecting something.

Mike, when the gennie is running and the compressor is running continously, what happens with your air gauges. What is the pressure they reach?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I will try to get over to the coach to test again tomorrow and check all the gauges.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

Here is my thinking. If the gauge stops around 90, the compressor is actually shutting off. If the gauge goes somewhere between 130 and 150 the compressor is building it's max pressure and stalling.

Before starting gennie note your air pressure on the supply gauge.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

OK is everyone ready to laugh at my ignorance?

So, I was thinking 120v air compressor would be a tank with a motor on top. So when I glanced in the air compressor compartment, I saw a big grey thing that I thought was a tank and on it was written with a sharpie "air compressor replaced 7/28/2015 Newell". I realized quickly today when testing that I was looking at the generator air cooler. I also thought the small compressor in the corner was probably an auxiliary 12v compressor not the 120v. Thus, all is well with generator, air cooler, and compressor. The only thing broken is my ego :-)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn