You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator and compressor

(10-25-2016, 05:40 PM)Jmginn78 Wrote:  OK is everyone ready to laugh at my ignorance?

So, I was thinking 120v air compressor would be a tank with a motor on top. So when I glanced in the air compressor compartment, I saw a big grey thing that I thought was a tank and on it was written with a sharpie "air compressor replaced 7/28/2015 Newell". I realized quickly today when testing that I was looking at the generator air cooler. I also thought the small compressor in the corner was probably an auxiliary 12v compressor not the 120v. Thus, all is well with generator, air cooler, and compressor. The only thing broken is my ego :-)

Just remember that if the "big grey thing" aka, "blower" is not running when you lite off the generator, you will really have a problem. This is how everybody learns. I had a buddy once ask me " why is it so noisy in the back of the coach?"

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

No worries Mike!
I would say that most of us have been somewhat chagrinned at one time or another..These coaches can have problems that really stump us. I say you are a "stand up" guru for admitting a mistake!!!! :-)

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Yep, the first thing I did was leave the generator blower door open. The generator promptly overheated and shut down.
I now understand how the gennie is cooled. and I know that the hi temp shutdown switch works

Guy
1984 Newell #59
Southern California, but not for long.

That blower pressurizes the generator compartment and blows air toward the front, through the generator radiator then down and the air exits under the generator compartment. Running the generator for extended periods with the generator slide out will cause overheating.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

No worries mate.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

My coach looks almost exactly like that. Do you see a tank mounted high on back left? (behind the blower) That is your "ping" tank. On the bottom is a petcock that should be opened and water drained on regular basis. Water from the 120V air compressor collects in the tank.

Be careful with the petcock and open it slowly. I accidentally opened that tank suddenly and well lets just say I needed a new pair of shorts.

I installed a hand valve and a tube so that the water that comes out of the tank goes under the coach instead of into that bay.

cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama