You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Roof and paint

I have a detailer friend that is going to help me spruce up the outside. The sides of the coach paint is in good condition, very glossy. I ha d waxed some of it with zymbol cleaner wax and it looks great. However, from the ground the roof paint looks very oxidized. My detailer friend wanted to know what material the roof was made of and what type of painting was used. 2000 model. Is the roof aluminum with imron paint and lots of clear coat?
Thanks Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

The roof is aluminum. Newell coaches were painted with Imron until #670, a 2003. However, I do not know if the paint on the roof was Imron also. It does seem to wear differently and certainly has a different texture on my coach.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Mine was oxidized when I got the coach 7 years ago. I polished it with a cutting polish and then waxed it with a carnuba wax. I now wax it once a year just with the carnuba wax. It looks like new!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

My '93 was painted silver. My '98 had a white ceramic (?) type coating on it. So unless you have records it could be a variety of different coatings.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

My 1992 is also painted silver, but I don't know what type of coating was used. I would think that a ceramic or heat reflecting/insulating coating would be best if it needs to be repainted.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

If you have a slick finish on a the roof - it will stay cleaner & be easier to clean.

A textured roof will get dirty & be harder to clean. Dirty = darker = higher heat gain.

IMO, the ceramic bead coating is snake oil- way too much hype & not enough long term evidence.
Your mileage may vary. . . .

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

My 1993 is smooth white.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Creslie at Newell said the roof was aluminum with imron paint. I agree it is a different texture, something like a flat paint instead of high gloss. We scrubbed with cleaner and then used a cleaner wax. Made a big difference check out pics. I would think the high gloss would be best because it would not hold dirt that runs down the sides during a rain. I am hopeful that just cleaning and waxing will help with black streaks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model