You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Muffler and Exhaust Tip Replacement

When I purchased my coach the muffler had been damaged and the exhaust tip was missing, along with some other damage. I ended up purchasing a Walker muffler that was and exact replacement and had to fabricate a new tip to fit the opening in the frame and rear engine cover. After installing the muffler I realized that the tip needed some unusual angles to make it fit the space that was located for it. I first made a model with cardboard and tape and was able to cut it with a utility knife and tap it with masking tape. I then to the cardboard model to a metal fabrication shop and had them make a metal version of my cardboard model. I then took it to a local shop to have it ceramic coated before installing it. The really odd part was that when i dropped it off to have it ceramic coated Newell had just dropped off some tips to be coated so they were coated at the same time. I wish I would have seen the Newell tip before having mine coated and I would made a few changes.

Here is a picture of the Newell tip that I took at the coating shop.    

David Crayne
Joplin Mo
1994 Newell Coach 371, 45ft with DD60 12.7

David,

Good job!

It is interesting that the inlet for the muffler is on the end. Most of the Series 60 mufflers I have seen have the inlet on the top to one side. Can you comment on how Newell routed the exhaust from the turbo to the inlet?

The reason I am asking is that the replacement mufflers with the top inlet are pricey from Newell. If an off the shelf could be made to work by modifying the interface between the turbo exhaust outlet and the muffler inlet, then it could be a great alternative.

Do you have the Walker part number?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,
I will see if I can get pictures of the exhaust routing and post them. I am not sure what the dimensions of the top inlet muffler but that would be a style 10 muffler and walker does have them listed in the catalog. The muffler that replaced mine was a #22552.

http://www.walkerheavyduty.com/downloads...ations.pdf

They also have really good documentation of air flow and noise levels as well as engine data on their website.

David Crayne
Joplin Mo
1994 Newell Coach 371, 45ft with DD60 12.7

Mine also has an end connection. Replaced original with aero 5050xl [$115].
Uses original 55 gal muffler hangers, so no extra parts needed for rear exhaust and a 90 if going out the side.
Aero is about 1/4 the size and weight of the original. It is a low restriction resonator, but does not sound much
louder to me. Many claim hp increases and quicker turbo spool up.
Resonator is stainless so should last a long time.
Jim

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

You guys have both opened up a channel of thinking. I have welded patches on the corners of my muffler where road rash did a number, but when it comes time to replace, it might be easier to fab an extension and 90 on the turbo outlet and use mufflers similar to yours.

I love this forum.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )