You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

AGM positive posts dissolve!

The last trip in my coach was in March and since then, it has been stored hooked up with shore power. So, this weekend I start getting the coach ready for travel at the end of the year, and 3 of the 6 house batteries positive posts are dissolved. When I opened the bay, the 3 posts had that "corroded" build up. When I started cleaning, the positive cables are still attached to each other, but no post. 

Obviously, I now need new batteries, but what happened?

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

Can you post of picture of the remains?

This is highly unusual for an AGM. You might want to verify that your charger has the correct settings.

Another possibility is one of the batteries failed. When that happens the charger tries to maintain voltage in the entire bank, and ends up cooking all of them.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I'll get a pic asap. Richard, since we have coaches that were built at the same time, what batteries are you now using? Our coaches were probably fitted with all the same inverters. My batteries are almost 9 years old.

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

At nine years, you are due.

I have changed inverters and batteries, so we are not likely to have the same setup. I am running Litihium Ions now.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )