You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Backup air compressor on coach

We always leave ours in auto level mode when parked to stay in it. When parked at home in garage it stays in travel mode.

(11-18-2016, 08:09 AM)Chester Stone Wrote:  Mike, I would be surprised if your 2000 year coach does not have the "doubler" that Richard describes.  Loon in the area of your engine fuel filter.

Chester, I looked around my fuel filter and found a device that I think has to do with air system but does not look like the picture referenced, and I don't see how to hook up air to it. What is This?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

Mike, the rectangular box looks like the air doubler. There should be a pressure regulator valve on it.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(12-06-2016, 09:05 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Mike, the rectangular box looks like the air doubler. There should be a pressure regulator valve on it.

Would that be an adjustable pressure regulator valve? Not sure I understand the intent of the doubler, nor how to use the device?

Is a doubler merely for airing your tires or does it operate within the coach systems?

Do I just need to buy an air hose to hook to the outlet in the same compartment?

Sorry for being so ignorant on this one, air systems are all new to me as the only ones on my boat ran an air horn :-)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

The doubler is a stand alone unit that gets air from the coach, then increases the pressure which is adjustable by the pressure regulator valve. There is an intake line (comes off your air system) and an exhaust line which will have a lower air flow but at a higher pressure than the intake line. It is only used for airing up the tires as nothing else needs higher pressure than the regulated coach system which maxes out at about 120-125 psi.

I can't read the pressure gauge on the red line in the photo so I don't know if that is the intake line or the exhaust line. Can you determine where the other end of the red air hose goes?

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

If that is a doubler there should be a valve on the inlet side and then a quick connect on the outlet side downstream of that gauge.
The doubler has 2 pistons and works similar to an air compressor using your supply air to activate the pistons and increase the air pressure to a higher pressure that is set by a large black knob (pull the knob out to adjust). At least that is how the SMC doubler that most of us use.
It is typically used only to air up your tires since the tire pressure is close to the maximum coach air system and when airing up tires you quickly use up that higher pressure head and have to wait for the pressure to build up to max again. The doubler works at a much lower supply pressure and allows you to air up tires much quicker.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Mike, please take and post a photo of the other side of the white rectangular box and the end of the red hose coming out of the gauge. That should verify what you have. You should have a valve on the other side of the white box and a hose fitting on the end of the red hose. If yes, then you will need a 50' hose to reach all of the tires and a male fitting.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica