You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Backup air compressor on coach

(11-18-2016, 07:38 AM)folivier Wrote:  I would be cautious about building my entire coach system that high.  I think most of the systems are designed to operate at a lower pressure and that could cause damage.

When I replaced my d2 valve, Newell actually recommended one with 130 psi cut out. Tank safety valves are 150 psi,
compressor is 250 psi. Some say better braking at 130 psi, I cannot tell any difference.

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

Jim,

The thing I would be worried about is blowing an air bag while trying to level on very sloping ground. I only say this because my Thomas aux compressor, capable of 150 psi when the HWH system bypasses the pressure switch, blew out one of my tag bags while I left it in autolevel.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(11-18-2016, 11:21 AM)Richard Wrote:  Jim,

The thing I would be worried about is blowing an air bag while trying to level on very sloping ground. I only say this because my Thomas aux compressor, capable of 150 psi when the HWH system bypasses the pressure switch, blew out one of my tag bags while I left it in autolevel.

Good point, will watch it when leveling with engine running. My aux comp is set at 90 psi, so should be okay there.
I normally shut hwh off after first leveling, is there a reason I should leave it in autolevel?

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.

I never leave mine in autolevel mode.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(11-18-2016, 12:40 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  I never leave mine in autolevel mode.

I was taught hit travel twice when departing and hit auto-level twice after opening the slides. What is your process?

(11-18-2016, 08:09 AM)MChester Stone Wrote:  Mike, I would be surprised if your 2000 year coach does not have the "doubler" that Richard describes.  Loon in the area of your engine fuel filter.

If I have a doubler does that mean I can plug a hose directly into the coach outlet to air my tires?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

I have an older model system that has an Off button that switches the level mode off (thus switching it to travel mode). I only need to hit travel/off once to go from level to travel mode.  Pressing the level mode once puts mine in manual level mode and pressing it twice puts it into auto-level mode. Once the system has leveled, I shut down the engine, then press the off button once to take it out of automatic re-level mode. I know that newer control panels have a button marked travel.

[Image: rv-leveling-systems.jpg]

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(11-18-2016, 05:33 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  I have an older model system that has an Off button that switches the level mode off (thus switching it to travel mode). I only need to hit travel/off once to go from level to travel mode.  Pressing the level mode once puts mine in manual level mode and pressing it twice puts it into auto-level mode. Once the system has leveled, I shut down the engine, then press the off button once to take it out of automatic re-level mode. I know that newer control panels have a button marked travel.

[Image: rv-leveling-systems.jpg]

Michael, mine is the same. However if in manual or auto mode with engine running, will revert to travel mode
in a minute or so. Safety feature I guess, so you do not go too far in a non travel height.

Mike the doubler has an adjustment knob on it that allows you to set the max output. You have to pull the knob up or out and then turn it to adjust the max pressure then push it down to lock it in place.
Newell started installing them on the passenger side of the engine firewall, usually above the fuel filter like Chester said. Not sure when but my '98 didn't have one. It should look similar to the picture in the link Richard posted. You would hook your air hose to it to get the higher pressure air.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I never leave in autolevel. I press off on the control panel after leveling.

Jim, yes if you have the doubler, you can use coach air to inflate all the tires on the coach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Mike, look to the left of the fuel filter and you should see a valve that has to be opened to pressure up the "doubler". A great device. Thanks all for your comments on shutting off the auto-level mode. I have had problems leaving it in automatic, but now I will turn it off. When parked in a near level place, I leave it in travel mode.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica