You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Floor Safe

Our 98 has a cylinder lock safe mounted in a pedestal in the rear closet over the engine.

Paul & Jane McCullough

(11-29-2016, 09:26 PM)jcus Wrote:  I had one, but cannot get coach to locksmith, and he wants $125 to come to my place and make key.
So, now I have a heavy square thing, under the bed.

I go nuts having a piece of equipment, no matter how minor, that doesn't work the way it's intended. (My bete noir right now is the in dash air conditioning.) A lot depends upon what kind of lock you have and the amount of room you have to work in. The fire safes available at the big box stores mostly keep the kids out and the locking mechanism is not very sophisticated. In a coach, you are depending more on concealment than the strength of the safe. A key lock can be fiddled open with time and patience and elementary tools. I bought a cheap pick and was able to open a filing cabinet that I'd inadvertently locked the keys inside of in about 10 minutes. Most locksmithing tools are available on line, and there are hundreds of YouTube videos on opening locks.  The variety of locks and the ease with which most can be opened is disconcerting. Check it out, you might find yours there. The electronic ones can be opened with a strong magnet (again, YouTube). Once open, the lock cylinder or even the door can be removed and taken to the locksmith. You probably save $80-100 for the house call. Everything is a trade off between time, effort and money. You pay the locksmith for training and experience, not to mention specialized equipment.

Paul & Jane McCullough

Our '82 has one located under the floor in front of the passenger seat. It has a very complicated combination lock which I have difficulty opening.....Elaine is the only one who can open it consistently. The combination was included in the Newell manual which came with our coach. We keep our important papers and documents in it......passports, birth certificates, etc.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Our '98 had no keys but thankfully it was unlocked. While at Newell I had the locksmith they recommended come out and change the lock for $25.00

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(12-09-2016, 08:42 AM)folivier Wrote:  Our '98 had no keys but thankfully it was unlocked.  While at Newell I had the locksmith they recommended come out and change the lock for $25.00

Hey Forrest where is the safe located on your 98? I have looked all over coach 469 can’t seem to find it.

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell
Coach 459 45 foot 1 slide

Under the bed. There was a carpet covered box with a lid that lifted off and it was under there.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(06-02-2018, 01:39 PM)folivier Wrote:  Under the bed. There was a carpet covered box with a lid that lifted off and it was under there.
Thanks I will look tomorrow

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell
Coach 459 45 foot 1 slide

I found the floor safe just forward of the copilot seat. I have the combination but haven’t been successful in opening it yet. It is a star safe. I doubt it has been opened in the last decade or so. Thanks in advance

Mike and Beth Magee 
80 Newell Classic 37’ Cat 3208T
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

First number you go past 3 times (going left) before stopping on it the fourth time, then you go right to the second number passing it twice, and stopping on it the third time, then left past the third number once, stopping on it the 2nd time, and then right, back to zero, push down, and then continue to the right, while still pushing down, to the 4th number. When you hit the fourth number the dial should remain depressed enabling you to open the safe. I believe the fourth number is 73, which appears to be the same 4th number used on all Star safes. Is 73 your fourth number? That's what my wife tells me....she is the expert on our safe, which is also a STAR. Call me at Nine 5 one, two 3 six, five 3 one 2 if you have any questions.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Finally got the safe open, thanks Clarke and Elaine for your help... after many many tries, thinking what could be wrong... I ran the numbers the opposite direction and it worked... whew!!

Mike and Beth Magee 
80 Newell Classic 37’ Cat 3208T
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)