You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thermostat Change

Has anyone changed their own thermostat on an 8V92 ? mine has a 160 that I believe was installed  a long time ago when the rad was plugged up and the coach was living in AZ. With the new rad and being in Canada it's time for a 180 which I think is the proper temp? Don

Don & Linda
1987 Newell Classic 40 foot tag axle, silver 92 Turbo Ddec1
Coach #146

Don: based upon recent research, the 180 stat is the best one as noted in a recent posting by me. I got the new thermostats and on a cold day started to work on replacing my 160 stats. The job isn't hard, draining coolant and saving it for reuse, but then, at least in my 93 coach, it is made difficult due to limited access to the thermostat housings. They are buried behind air cleaners, exhaust pipes going to the turbo, and the left one has part of it under a bracket holding the ECU. I decided to wait for a warmer day when my thick clothing wouldn't interfere with mobility. My coach also has the exhaust pipe from the turbo to the muffler getting in the way a bit. It may be possible to do the job without removing the pipes but it will take patience and contortions. So, my advice is to make a thorough check of how you will access the bolts holding the covers (4-6 each cover) and get access to the 14 (I believe) hose clamps that will need to be removed and put back. Also, depending on when all those hose were last moved you will need to have a plan for loosening them or cutting them. It really is a straightforward job, it's just the access issue.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Wow that doesn't sound like any fun at all especially because there are two thermostats , and climbing around that engine compartment is never fun for anyone over 30 ! thanks !

Don & Linda
1987 Newell Classic 40 foot tag axle, silver 92 Turbo Ddec1
Coach #146

Yeah, and next week I'll be 71. But right now I'm off to do some indoor rock climbing. It's good contortionist practice. Maybe if I do enough then changing the thermostats will feel easier.

Jon Kabbe

Removing the exhaust pipes is easy, 4 clamps total to remove, once you have removed the insulation which is best done by simply cutting the wires holding them together. Getting the wires back on could be a challenge because you can't see some of the hooks and will need to do it by feel.

Jon Kabbe