You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

#489 1998 for sale

1998 model, incorrectly listed as 469 but based on check digit, it must be 489. $129,999. Bath and a half, 2 HWH slides. Series 60 500 HP, Allison 6 speed. Has 2000 front cap. 129,351 miles. Repainted. The most photos I have ever seen posted on a coach.

http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Karolina...1#brochure

[Image: 5847e2e4c01ec962585f9ba5.jpg?width=1024&...quality=70]
[Image: 5847e2e4eb32b02b7b1b75c0.jpg?width=1024&...quality=70]
[Image: 5847e2e4a718fa01ea317be4.jpg?width=1024&...quality=70]

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(12-10-2016, 10:49 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  1998 model, incorrectly listed as 469 but based on check digit, it must be 489. $129,999. Bath and a half, 2 HWH slides. Series 60 500 HP, Allison 6 speed. Has 2000 front cap. 129,351 miles. Repainted. The most photos I have ever seen posted on a coach.

http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Karolina...1#brochure

[Image: 5847e2e4c01ec962585f9ba5.jpg?width=1024&...quality=70]
[Image: 5847e2e4eb32b02b7b1b75c0.jpg?width=1024&...quality=70]
[Image: 5847e2e4a718fa01ea317be4.jpg?width=1024&...quality=70]

I live near this coach and it's still for sale.  I am interested in it but the bright white interior isn't my style.  I have two questions.  Where would I find what the true value of this coach?  Also, does Newell (I'm a newbie) redo interiors of older coaches and if so, is it an outrageous cost?

There is not a good answer to your first question. When looking at an coach, but particularly one that is 20 years old, condition is the most important factor with how well it meets your needs and wants right up there. Since there is no NADA 'book value' on a Newell, about all you can do is compare the price to those that are selling in a similar age and condition. However, trying to find out what individual coaches actually sold for as opposed to what they were asking is a difficult task. Asking prices for 1998 models listed during the last year or so have ranged from $98,000 - $135,000. When this coach was built was near the beginning of change from mid bath to bath and a half models. Most were still mid bath with a rear closet at that time. It was about 2001/2002 before bath and half became the predominate layout built by Newell. 1997 was the first model year of the independent front suspension.

During the mid to late 90's and early 2000's, that was the primary laminate used by Newell. For individuals used to the wood cabinetry in many other RV's, the laminate is certainly different. It grows on most of us and is preferred by many. About 2002, Newell began occasional use of wood grained laminate with a quite hefty upcharge. The answer to your question regarding interior redo's, yes Newell absolutely will redo the interior for you. You may be surprised at the cost if you want significant changes such as trying to redo most of the laminate but the craftsmanship will be top notch and some of the work may be done by the same folks that built the coach originally. The fact is, anyone is going to charge handsomely to redo the laminate in a Newell. Those rounded surfaces are beautiful but add to complexity and cost of re-lamination.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Our coach is #555 and one of the few and first Newell's with wood grain that I have found especially in the bath and half layout. Coming from a yachting background, my wife and I preferred the darker wood and chased this coach for several years before purchasing. Pictures below. As Michael mentioned above, it is out of the norm for this era of coach, and I don't know if that is good or bad for resale, but works for us. Good luck with your search.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

Interior color is all a matter of preference. In our case we like the lighter laminates vs. darker wood (sob's) or darker laminates. We find it makes the inside somewhat brighter and appear larger. But the darker laminates do have a much richer appearance. Perhaps you could add wood accents in various areas?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

The cost to remodel the interior adds up quickly!  Newell will do it right but it will be pricey IMO.  One challenge is I believe their labor rate is the same for all jobs, i.e. Same for laying carpet as it is for an electrician. We bagan remodel process with our 2003 and stopped after the carpet! Lol. We also have got quotes to add a bunk along with some other stuff in our existing coach and it was not cheap.  

Totally get your dislike of the light colored laminate.  We actually grew to like the light color laminate in our 2003 after we bought it as it was durable and not flimsy like most coaches cabinetry, it's easy to clean, and it wears very well. Ironically, our 2013 has light colored laminate too.  Go figure! I guess for us the color of cabinets got too low on our list of priorities that it ended up not affecting our purchase decisions.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

Out of curiosity -- has anyone seen this coach in person at Karolina Koaches? Seems like they've had it since at least December when Michael posted it here. The tires clearly need to be replaced all the way around but I'm wondering what else might be wrong with it. With the 2000 front cap and new (not sure when) paint job, I have to wonder -- perhaps it was in an accident?

Just trying to figure out if it's worth the drive to take a look at or not.

Thanks!

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

Have not seen it in person. As of the middle of 2014, AutoCheck did not show any accidents. Running a new VIN report might give you additional information. A number of owners have had Newell upgrade their pre 2000 model year coaches with the 'smiley face' front end. Makes it look newer and has better headlights although it is in the $6-10,000 range as I recall.

Unless the batteries have been replaced recently or it has been kept plugged in, I suspect new batteries will be needed which are, along with tires, some of the more expensive routine maintenance items.

I see that it is now priced at $119,999.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

The price given on the sellers website for tires ($375 each) is in my experience grossly understated. Not saying you could not find some off brand tire for that price but not a tire I would want on my coach.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(06-09-2017, 11:07 AM)Fulltiming Wrote:  The price given on the sellers website for tires ($375 each) is in my experience grossly understated. Not saying you could not find some off brand tire for that price but not a tire I would want on my coach.

Yeah, I admittedly laughed out loud a little when I read that. I'm not sure I'd even feel comfortable test driving it with 2009 vintage tires on the steer axle.

One other curiosity - picture 121 shows a 2nd 2" hitch receiver off to the right side. Is that common? I haven't noticed it on other coaches. I'm guessing that would be for a bike rack while flat towing?

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO