You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How I Connected Relays to A/Cs

(06-18-2017, 06:00 PM)Richard Wrote:  You will use all four.   You have four compressors.

Just read your reply, I was wondering about 2 vs 4 as I new
there were 2 stages on each unit. Are the drawings duplicated for the second system? Thanks for your input. Will be doing the install in a few days

Ed and Penny Thomas
Anna, TX
98 Newell
coach #490

(06-18-2017, 06:00 PM)Richard Wrote:  You will use all four.   You have four compressors.
Richard and Chester
Ryan and I  be installing the relays tomorrow by chance we have some questions, would you mind emailing me your phone numbers we could contact you at. Richard I know you are traveling. 

My emai is [email protected]

Thanks ed

Ed and Penny Thomas
Anna, TX
98 Newell
coach #490

Sent you an email.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I've just had the control pcb 305-2547 burn out on the dual compressor AC unit. It's too damaged for repair, so I'm trying to find another (probably next to impossible). It seems the old problem of loose connectors may have caused it. Anybody have any ideas on either where to find another card or a workaround. Did I read correctly about bypassing the pcb?

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

I have done this modification (with help from other gurus). You need the board to interpret the signals coming from the thermostat....So it is not a total bypass. The fix moves the high current from on the board to a set of external relays. The board controls the relays in such a way as to minimize the amount of current passing through the board. (This is what usually kills the board).

As far as finding a board. I would call Newell first. They had a supply at one time. Next, I would ask the gurus if anyone that has done the fix will part with any extra boards that they may have.

Next, I would see if your board can be salvaged. (There is at least one company that is in the business of repairing these (and similar boards). If yours is not too far gone, maybe it can be fixed. Finally, I would start searching the internet for spares. The SCS unit was installed in quite a few RVs and as those age out and are junked, maybe a few used boards can be had.

For what its worth.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Take the board out. Look at the back. You may be able to solder jumper wires on the burned out "lands". If you can repair the board enough to get 120 to the two compressors then you can install the relays and stop the burnout nonsense. You may have to just solder wire to the board at the compressor connections and remove the connector.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Can you post a photo of the burned section, front and back?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

As a last resort, I wonder if you could use a pcb from either Train or American Standard. I believe these companies make dual compressor systems and must have controls for them. I doubt the pcb cares about the size of the compressors.

Just a thought from a deranged mind.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed
Video 

I'll take and post photos tonight. I also wonder about adapting another pcb. Possible?

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

Here are pics.

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513