You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

deep cycle battery charging trick

hi,

this isnt for the coach, but i guess could be.

i have an electric GEM car. it is a 4 seat glorified golf cart that is street legal. it is a 72v system. i am getting ready to sell it so in the spring i put new batteries in it. i basically then totally ignored it and some parasitic drain took the six 12v deep cycle batteries down to almost totally dead. below 4v.

yea, i know it was dumb, i should have charged them every few weeks...

that said, once i disconnected the batteries from being in series, i have to charge each one to get i think to 9v or so for the onboard charger to take over.

so i put my battery charger on one of them and walla....nothing. no charging or voltage.

scratching my head, i thought, maybe my charger is fried. so i hooked it up to darlenes honda (of course i didnt experiment with my f350) and the charger started humming and charging.

making a long story short, ends up that the charger will not turn itself on unless there is about 4v on the battery. so you have to trick it. so i hooked the charger up to the battery, then i used jumper cables between darlenes CRV and the deep cycle battery and then turned the charger on and it started charging. i let it hum for a minute or two, then disconnected the jumper cables and it is still charging.

could be each charger is different, but i would guess that is a common feature with the voltage to turn on varying a little bit.

thats my trick of the day.....

probably most of you knew it and i was the last kid on the block to figure it out....

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom- you are talking electricity. I don't get it, too old to try, if it turns on with a switch, all is good.

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge