You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Anthony Gallo speakers,

We are new owners and several of our ceiling mounted Anthony Gallo speakers are buzzing. I've tried to unscrew one and it gets loose but the wires seem to bind up. I don't want to ruin something. Anyone know the proper way to remove them? Thanks Randy

Randy and Kelle
2002 Quad slide. #635
24' Pace stacker

Randy, I do not have those speakers in my coach. Generally AG ceiling mount speakers I've seen have a ring around the outside that rotates CCW to release the speaker. The wires on most are secured by red and black fasteners on the back side that unscrew to release the wires.
Sorry I am not familiar with the exact models in your coach. A close-up pic and/or model number would help. Hopefully another Guru who has these same speakers will chime in.
Check the speaker mounts and any ceiling trim in the area for the source of the buzzing. If it is within the speaker they may be rebuildable. I have reconed several of the A/D/S speakers in my Newell. They sound like new.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Thanks HoosierDaddy,
The speakers are round about the size of a baseball. They have a 1/4-20 hole in the case, (at least the ones on EBay do). I've tried unscrewing the whole speaker and it gets looser but then binds up and won't turn anymore. There may be a release of some kind on the mounting stud, I'll call Newell service tomorrow. It's probably very simple and they'll laugh at me, but I've spent close to a hour trying to get one off!
Thanks again,

Randy and Kelle
2002 Quad slide. #635
24' Pace stacker

Randy,

At the risk of adding confusion....

Are you positive the speakers are bad? On my coach (similar vintage), I have the round speakers and one really bad sub-woofer located under the dinette. I took the sub out and my issue went away. It was behind the drawer under dinette on my setup.

Also, what may or may not be obvious to you is how Newell handled inputs into the speakers. They are not wired directly to your amp, nor directly to your dash radio. Most likely they are wired to a couple of relays that are behind the trim piece above the drivers head (on wall). These relays are controlled by the dash radio and flip the wires between the dash radio and the amp. (My amp is above the driver in the overhead console).

So, before you tear everything apart, I would find those relays and figure out the wires going to each speaker and send a clean signal. If that produces a buzz, then I would continue on your path of replacement.

Of course, your milage may vary.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thanks Bill,
No I'm not sure it's the speaker, however it's the only one of the 4 that are playing with the dash mount XM that makes a bad distortion sound like a blown speaker. It's the front right channel speaker, the back right speaker is ok. It's a 5.1 system (except I can't find a sub, it may have been removed. It's not under the dinette.) Does your coach have 5 relays or only 2 for stereo?
Of course the in dash head unit has been changed and it has an automotive amp on curb side overhead.

Randy and Kelle
2002 Quad slide. #635
24' Pace stacker

If I remember correctly it is only two relays (but with several ganged sets of wires)....

My construction plan drawing show the location of the sub, so if you can get your drawing (from Newell) it may give you a clue as to the location.

I still suspect that its the relay.

I attempted to figure out the mounting on mine, but only got as far as you. Im guessing that it is a stud screwed into the speaker and that the speaker was mounted and then wired. It will be interesting to find out what Newell says.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Maybe I can save U some time...The speaker grill should pry out from the front. The issue may be obvious if the cone has a split or tear. Check especially around the perimeter of the cone on the bellows. Once the speaker cone is accessible GENTLY push it in using four fingers spaced evenly around the field of the cone. The cone should smoothly move in 1/8 to 1/4" . If U hear/feel scratchiness the voice coil is damaged or you are not pushing evenly all around. If it is smooth the problem may be elsewhere. Based on the pictures I've seen it appears that the foam ring surrounding the speaker that holds the grill in place may be covering the speaker screws. If you can remove that foam you should be able to access the screws holding the speaker and remove it.
My Newell had those relays as well. I eliminated them and run the main salon speakers off of the House amp only. I am installing additional speakers in the driver's area that are driven by the dash unit only. That will allow me to enjoy the music without disturbing my wife who sometimes wants to sleep while I drive.
Also, I have two subs---One under the couch and one under the end of the kitchen cabinet near the mid entry.
I should stress that I have NO experience with this model but I am basing my thoughts on many years of experience with sound systems in general.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I've got 2 subs behind my tv. You might check there

Thanks everyone, Newell was closed today and I didn't think my question was an emergency so I'll wait until tomorrow!
If I still have subs somewhere they either aren't working or are anemic as I can't hear or feel them.
I don't have the home theater hooked up yet as I just bought a dish Hopper and two Joeys which should be here in a couple days, hopefully I can fiqure all that out also.

Randy and Kelle
2002 Quad slide. #635
24' Pace stacker

Newell is redoing my main slide this week and removed the Anthony Gallo speaker.  Here is how you remove one of these little round speakers...

1.  The plastic ring that surrounds the speaker is siliconed / glued onto the ceiling.  Get a plastic scraper and gently work your way around the trim ring being careful not to damage the ceiling.
2.  Once the ring comes loose, you can see four screws.  Remove the screws and the speaker will be released.
3.  Be careful with the wires...they are fragile.

See pictures....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama