You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1972 Steering Box

There are several items on that fire truck that might be of interest to a Newell Classic owner...The front bumper is very similar once the diamond plate extension is removed, It appears that the latches on the compartment doors are similar and probably desirable if they are stainless steel and the horns as well.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

HoosierDaddy,

You may have just saved me some money! I just dropped my grill off at a re-chroming shop and the estimate was $400. Both of my bumpers need re-chromed too.....especially the back-middle, since the weight of the spare tire carrier rested on the middle of the middle (I'm not doing this on purpose!) bumper cracking it down.....the middle! I was going to have to get it welded, reinforced and then rechromed. I hadn't even considered the bumpers since I was in such a hurry to get the column out. I wonder if it has a back bumper too. I'll have to go back with measurements and see if they'll fit. I'm guessing it would be WAY cheaper to find a couple used bumpers then get mine rechromed.

As for the other items, I had considered the horns and the handles. The horns on that truck are just SO nice, but the mountings are very different and I don't want to leave holes in my very solid roof. The handles too won't work as mine have the locks and the fire trucks do not. However, if there are people who are looking for parts there are HUNDREDS of trucks in the Adelman's yard and most have horns, handles and various other parts!

Bob Kopicki
1972 Newell Chauffeur
1964 Land Rover 88 Series IIa TOAD

Well....

I dropped by the salvage yard this week and the bumper won't work. My coach is 98" across and the bumper is 91". In addition, the front of my coach is curved with my bumper curving at the ends, this one is perfectly straight. Darn!

That said they only wanted $150 for it and as far as I can tell it's perfect. Even the mounting holes are on the top and bottom so holes can be drilled where needed without it looking funky.

I will be pulling the (coolant) heater out of it as it's the exact one I have up front in mine and I doubt I'd ever find parts for it short of buying a parts bus!

I'm almost done with the steering wiring but our Land Rover has been keeping me busy.

Bob Kopicki
1972 Newell Chauffeur

I finally got the rest of the wiring done for the steering column and took a picture.  I liked the white steering wheel that I removed so I painted this one white too.  I filled the horn button with fiberglass resin and painted it also.  I finally have the horn switch where it belongs.....on the steering wheel.  My dear bride who is quite the artist will be painting a script "Newell Coach" on the button soon.

Only wiring left to do is the replacement cruise control....I put a vintage cruise on it a couple of years back but it only lasted a year.  This year I got a new Rostra cruise control......finally something with a warranty!  I'll be installing it in the next couple weeks, before our trip to Kentucky for Road to the Horse.

We also drove Carole Ann to Columbus last week to get the roof painted....I'll post a thread in the proper area for that.

Bob Kopicki
1972 Newell Chauffeur

Bob,

Thanks for the pictures on both threads. I can't wait to see her in person.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )