You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Buying my first Newell

You might be able to claim that as being registered in MT which only requires class D, any class D no matter what state should be legal for driving. Because you are in compliance with the state of registry. Was just thinking that an MT class D would neatly tie up loose ends. As for non resident getting license, I used to have to get a new driver's license several times a year as I moved from state to state for work. A real pain when moving 6-7 times a year. Each state required you to get license if you worked there. Was finally able to find a solution but that will have to be a topic for discussion at rally!

So I talked with the CHP today and they said that I don't need any special license to operate. Turns out the people at the DMV aren't much help. Or I didn't talk to someone who knew the answer.

Max & Sara 
1984 Newell 38', Coach #31
Roudy the pug, Nettie the chihuahua/sheltie

Super excited this Saturday 2/11 is the day I pick up our coach. The guy I am buying from has some spare parts for the 8v92. Turbo, starter, compressor, water pump, injectors. Is there any value in buying these parts? Seems like a good deal to me at $1600.

Max & Sara 

Are the parts new, remanufactered, or takeoffs from when these parts have already been changed on your engine. Do you have room to store them? Are you the kind of guy that would replace functioning parts with new ones if you had them?

I love spare parts but here is the reality. They don't do you much good if they aren't on the coach when you are traveling unless you have a way of having them shipped to you.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Another thought on the parts: are they readily available? If they aren't it might be worth having them. But if they are still manufactured or readily available then I wouldn't place much value on them.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

If the parts are reman and unused then the asking price is a bit less than list. Those parts can be easily obtained through any Detroit Diesel dealer or from several online sources.

These parts need to be stored dry. An injector with even a hint of corrosion on the tip is no good. So if you buy the parts consider how and where you will store them.

Another thing to consider is how there parts might get installed. If you hire the install and there is a subsequent problem, the installer will claim you provided a faulty part and assume no liability.

The coach will be driveable with a dead turbo or a bad injector or two. I drove several thousand miles after the seal on my water pump started leaking - it took me that long to figure it out. The starter was still working when the engine needed an overhaul due to worn out cylinders - it was a repower with an apparently well used engine.

We each find a comfort zone with the spares we choose to carry. My thought is to carry smallish stuff that will get me off the roadside, I wouldn't carry stuff because I could buy it at a discount. That is me, your legitimate choices may vary.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Of the parts listed, the starter is the only one that I would consider having in the coach as it is something I could swap out without too much drama. However, the other items are a bit more involved to replace & I wouldn't want to do that on the road. Besides, as the others have said, it is easy enough to get the other items anywhere -- AND -- the other parts usually don't fail all at once, so you will have some warning . . .

I bought a new 39MT starter off ebay for $230.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Thanks for the input guys. My thinking is along the same lines.

Max & Sara