You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Buying my first Newell

I flew out to see mine after seeing it on the internet and made the decision to buy it within an hour or 2 of first seeing it in person. I figured every problem could be fixed or worked around. The interior fit what I wanted better than if I had designed it.

If you love the layout, - it becomes a question of what you are willing to sacrifice in order to have it.

Newels are very, very well built. My '87 at 30 years old is tighter inside & out than any of the new units I saw at the local RV show.

Good luck !

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Had a great conversation with Max today. He's headed to look at the coach tomorrow, but I think he's perfect for a Newell Classic. He's an electrition by trade, I told him that would be invaluable for 90% of what he encounters, and the forum would help him with the rest. He's looked at the fiberglass SOBs for much more money, but loves the look of the classic Newell. Asked me about engine swaps, has allocated money in his deal to do that if required. Asked me about the 15 year old rule at many RV parks, told him that I've never encountered a problem. Should probably have some pictures to email if there was an issue. He also inquired about the aluminum siding on the Newells, wondered if it could be polished like an Airstream. Never tried it myself but as far as I know it's aircraft quality aluminum that they might give an acid wash to before painting, but if he has the elbow grease and time I'm pretty sure it would polish up just fine. He's from California but assured me that he didn't drive a Prius.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Allow me to add my 2 cents worth.  I have owned 14 motorhomes over a period of 32 years.  Everything from Winnebagos to Bluebird Wanderlodges.  When we retired we bought a new 06 450 LXi Wanderlodge for just south of $1M.  We found it to be much too sophisticated and high tech.  It is for sale with 13000 miles on the clock and we travel in our 1988 Newell.  The construction of the Newell cannot be appreciated until you get underneath and into the internal organs.  I visited the plant in Miami before I purchased my first new Bluebird in 2002, but the support system for the BB was superior at that time. This forum exudes knowledge and support and you will find it invaluable as time goes on.  Now BB is gone and Newell Lives On!  I would not trade ole #174 for anything I have seen to date.  Good luck with your vintage quest.  Pete

"He's from California but assured me that he didn't drive a Prius."  Smile  Smile  Smile

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

It will be difficult to polish the aluminum since at least the lower part if anodized and I'm not at all sure what happens when that layer is removed. Aircraft aluminum contains thin external layers of pure aluminum that polishes nicely. Once you get below that layer it is an alloy that doesn't polish nearly as nicely.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Hey everyone huge update. We went and had an inspection today and all was good, so we went ahead and purchased the coach. We're super excited to own a classic Newell. We will bring it home in a couple of weeks when the negotiated repairs are completed. Thanks again to everyone who contributed advice, it gave me great confidence that we made the right decision. Big thanks to MrE, we had a great conversation yesterday and today, he is a wealth of knowledge and a true guru.

Max & Sara 
1984 Newell 38', Coach #31
Roudy the pug, Nettie the chihuahua/sheltie

Welcome Max and Sara.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Congratulations Max and Sara.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com